We buy the stuff by the quart.

by (Login blklion)

And I'm pretty sure we're presently getting it from Grainger. If you can't locate it down there in PR let me know and I can ship you a quart of the stuff.

I'm sure other air tool lubes would probably work as well but this was the only stuff we have at work and, having time to futz around in the lab that night, I ran those tests. Kind of handy having such things at ones disposal, huh? I was even considering running a GC (Gas Chromatograph) test on it but really didn't see the point in it.

Where I work we make packaging materials for pharmaceutical and food products so we have a full-blown lab for running all sorts of tests on materials, inks, adhesives and such.

On your suggestion for moly in lieu of graphite, well, molybdenum disulfide is harder than graphite and does a fine job of coating and providing lubrication but does not penetrate into the surface like graphite does. The melting point of moly is in the vicinity of 2600 deg F so it takes quite a bit of energy/heat to make it bond to a surface permanently.

I use both but have seen better results on the cylinder bore with graphite...nice, shiny surface that moisture can't impregnate. It's basically an either/or option on my part...I'm just choosing to go the graphite route this go round.

Posted on Mar 14, 2003, 7:32 AM
from IP address 209.112.92.10

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement