QB / QB64 Discussion Forum      Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

Return to Index  

Re: Singles can only use 7 numbers in length

October 21 2007 at 6:18 PM
Moneo  (no login)

Response to Singles can only use 7 numbers in length

Hey Ted, thanks for sticking with me on this.

>All you would have to do is validate a decimal point with INSTR and allow >8 in that case.

Actually the "7 numbers in length" means that you can't have more than 7 consecutive, non-zero digits. For example: 1234567000 would be a valid number to put into a SINGLE. Also 1000000000 and 1.234567 and .000001234567 are good for SINGLE. But, 1.0234567 would not fit in a SINGLE. So the validation is not so simple, not difficult, just a little tedious.

>I don't understand your aversion to the IDE. I do use notepad sometimes. >especially with stuff off the forums. But when you test run a program, >you end up in the IDE anyhow and you could have noticed the # on the end >of the number then. The IDE can be a pain sometimes, but it also can help >with silly mistakes and typo's too.

Maybe it is an aversion to IDE's, but I discarded using them back in 1987.
I write my code with an editor.
Then I immediately compile with QB4.5 from the MSDOS commandline.
Then I test, running the executable.

Therefore, I never touch an IDE for anything. Granted I miss out on the benefits of seeing the #, and any other good intentioned "helps" that it might give me, but I'm happy without it.

Regards..... Moneo

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums