The QBasic / QB64 Discussion Forum      Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

Don't know if anyone has said this yet...

by nathan (no login)

If they have already brought this subject up, then nevermind...

Question:

I. How can you find the last number?

II. How small is an instant?

My Answer:

I. I think that to find the last number you would have to go back to the beginning of time. The last number is an infinite number. I think that an infinite number starts at one and doubles every instant. So, to find it, you would have to find out how many instants have occured since the beginning of time (which is when the numbers began counting) . Then, you would double the number 1 that many times.

II. I think that an instant is 1/2 of the instant before it. So go back to the begging of time, and get a computer that figures things out instantly:

screen 12
cls
instant=1
do
instant=instant/2
CurTime=CurTime+instant
loop until (CurrentDate)
print instant

This wouldn't give you an instant, but it gives you an idea of how small it is. If you could get it to work out these problems in one instant, have an infinite number of decimal places, and start at the beginning of time, you would have how small an instant is. Imagine this code doing this since the begging of time (72,000 years ago) !!!!!!!

I think that this is what I'm supposed to put on this forum... I don't know though.

Posted on Apr 23, 2002, 4:34 PM

Respond to this message   

Return to Index

Response TitleAuthor and Date
Yep, that's the kind of stuff this forum is for. on Apr 24
 Definition of "LAST NUMBER"...nathan on Apr 25
  Sorry, there is no such thing.Mac on Apr 25
   There is no last number that can be pinpointed.nathan on Apr 26
    ÙÙ*instants DO NOT matter t all, there is simply no such thing as a last number @ Nathan ÙIain on Apr 26
   *how about E## +10 :P, sorry couldn't resist. on May 7
    (E## + 10) + 1 Yes?*Iain on May 9
     * ((E## + 10) + 1) + 1 ; - )Guy Smilie on May 9
      (((E## + 10) + 1) + 1) + 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000*Iain on May 9
       Much bigger: Googolplex!Earthborn on May 9
        oh yea? (whatever you said) + 1 now I win!guy smilie on May 9
        Googleplex to the power of googleplex HAH!*Iain on May 10
         *(Googleplex to the power of googleplex)+1 I think this is getting pointlessGuy Smilie on May 10
          Googleplex to the power of googleplex times googleplex to th power of googleplex + 9999999Iain on May 10
           bigger than yours...Guy Smilie on May 10
            That's not a very big number!Earthborn on May 10
           *INFINITY. on May 11
            Infinity isnt a number. It means neverending...Guy Smilie on May 11
             I winIain on May 12
              *???Anonymous on May 12
             *Infinite means neverending. Infinity is an infinite number. on May 13
            I was going to respond to Guy Smilie, but the page was messed up...Anonymous on May 12
             i dont think infinity is a number.Guy Smilie on May 12
              Re: i dont think infinity is a number. on May 13
               i dont think so...Guy Smilie on May 13
                Re: i dont think so... on May 14
                 nope...Guy Smilie on May 14
                  Re: nope... on May 14
                   wrong...Guy Smilie on May 14
                    Re: wrong... on May 14
                     *those arent integers though.Guy Smilie on May 14
                      Re: *those arent integers though. on May 15
                       *however you were talking about infinity numbers though. and mentioned non-integersGuy Smilie on May 15
                        Re: *however you were talking about infinity numbers though. and mentioned non-integers on May 16
                        *Infinity isn't an integer. It's like 0. on May 16
                    you said: "infinity keeps expanding and may double every instant "...nathan on May 16
                     *how is infinity a number though if it has no limits?Guy Smilie on May 16
                      Re: *how is infinity a number though if it has no limits? on May 17
                       * pi has, not "may have", an infinite value...lkt153 on May 17
                        *Nobody has found a pattern to pi, so how do you know it has an infinite value? on May 17
                         * Just by the fact that it's represented by a division and it's value has no pattern... on May 17
                          Re: * Just by the fact that it's represented by a division and it's value has no pattern... on May 17
                           why not?...Guy Smilie on May 17
                            *But you would never get infinity random digits by a division. on May 18
                             *why wouldnt you? Pi is certainly an exampleGuy Smilie on May 18
                              Re: *why wouldnt you? Pi is certainly an example on May 18
                               well...Guy Smilie on May 18
                                *But you couldn't prove it. on May 18
                                 * But mathematicians HAVE proved it in other ways!Earthborn on May 19
                                  *How? on May 19
                                   I don't know. But I'm sure they have. I think Mac can answer.Earthborn on May 19
                                    This is it (I think)Guy Smilie on May 19
                                     I don't really understand it, but on May 20
                                      pi... on May 20
                                      Here is some explanation on May 20
                                       *does that mean that i was right about infinity?Guy Smilie on May 20
                                        Yep. That's what it means!Earthborn on May 20
                                         I supose so..Guy Smilie on May 20
                                          *What do you mean they "don't count"? on May 20
                                           *In the arguement they dont count. anyway i win on infinity so it doesnt matterGuy Smilie on May 20
                                       I said some bogus stuff on May 20
                                        *Does that mean that I was right about infinity? on May 20
                                       Re: Here is some explanation on May 20
                                       Re: Here is some explanation on May 20
                                        ok here we go....Guy Smilie on May 20
                                         Re: ok here we go.... on May 21
                                          *explain to me why you think it is a numberGuy Smilie on May 21
                                           *That's the definition of infinity! It's in the dictionary!!! on May 21
                                            Just explain it. evrythingGuy Smilie on May 21
                                          you proved my point...Guy Smilie on May 21
                                           There's a problem. on May 22
                                            *if it doesnt change it ca be written in digits and it would be finite.Anonymous on May 22
                                             Re: *if it doesnt change it ca be written in digits and it would be finite. on May 22
                                              Re: Dictionaries are made by language experts.Earthborn on May 22
                                               *If mathematicians make up a word, they would educate the language experts. on May 22
                                              there is no such thing as the 'last' number.Guy Smilie on May 22
                                               Re: there is no such thing as the 'last' number. on May 22
                                                noun-person, place or thing on May 22
                                                 Re: noun-person, place or thing on May 22
                                                  Taz - Guy Smilie: 1 - 1 Who here agrees with Me? on May 22
                                                   Re: Taz - Guy Smilie: 1 - 1 Who here agrees with Me? on May 23
                                                    *may change in the future, but it isnt a number now. so I win. 1: 1 on May 23
                                                     *It may change in the future, but it IS a number now. on May 24
                                                      *lets take a survey Who thinks infinity is a number say 'I' else say 'nay' on May 24
                                                       * I on May 24
                                                       * should be isnt a number say 'I' else say nay on May 24
                                                       Guy, it wouldn't matter what any survey said... on May 24
                                                        The horse isn't dead yet... on May 24
                                                         Point taken, but not in the context I imagined on May 24
                                                          what a fun arguement it has been... on May 24
                                                           SCORE on May 25
                                                            *ok. Its a tie. We both win. on May 25
                                                             *         :-)     on May 25
                                                          Re: Point taken, but not in the context I imagined on May 25
                                                           *i asked him to delete it. It seemed to cause trouble. on May 25
                                                    *the comparison wasnt really about the hamburger. It was the idea behind it. on May 23
                                                     *But words are actually created by the majority, so the idea behind it is wrong. on May 24
                                                      * longest thread ever? on Feb 1
                                                  you're very sadcynic on May 23
                                                   You're very depressing. on May 24
                                                    you're rightcynic on May 26
                                                     *Don't be dumb. on May 26
                                                      Re: *Don't be dumb.cynic on May 30
                                                       *Don't say dumb things. on May 30
                          Pi cannot be represented by a division!Earthborn on May 19
                       *once again those arent integers so they dont really count for anythingGuy Smilie on May 17
                        *Why do they have to be integers!? on May 17
                         *Because parts of a number arent numbers. They are parts of a number. It has to be integerGuy Smilie on May 17
                          *No, parts of an integer aren't integers, but they are numbers. on May 18
                           *numbers have to be integers or there not numbersGuy Smilie on May 18
                            *OK, Smilie, if 1.5 isn't a number, what is it?? on May 18
                             a number and a part of a number...Guy Smilie on May 18
                              Re: a number and a part of a number... on May 18
                              In your post entitled "well..." on May 18
                               *yes a number like 1 with billions of decimal places like .09184 so 1.09184Anonymous on May 19
                                *I don't understand what you're saying. It seems that you haven't completed your sentence. on May 19
                                 are you calling me illiterate? lol...Guy Smilie on May 19
                                  Re: are you calling me illiterate? lol... on May 19
                                   i already said A number and a part of a nubmerGuy Smilie on May 19
                                    Re: i already said A number and a part of a nubmer on May 20
                                     50/2 is another way of saying 25Guy Smilie on May 20
                                      *50/2 is also a fraction of a number (50). on May 20
                                      *Any division is a fraction of the numerator. on May 20
                                       I'm so proud of you guys!Chandler on Feb 1
                                        Let me change my views on this... on Feb 1
                                         This topic may be infinite!Chandler on Feb 1
                                          Interesting questions, Chandler on Feb 2
                                           That's what I thought.Chandler on Feb 2
                                            The more than one answer part or the irrational part? on Feb 3
                                             OK,that was weird!Chandler on Feb 3
                                              Here's how we know that sqrt(2) has infinite digits... on Feb 4
                                               And I'm still oblivious!Chandler on Feb 4
                                                LOL. My mistake Chandler. Don't take that 4*4 as true on Feb 4
                                                 Now you're being silly!Chandler on Feb 4

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums