The QBasic / QB64 Discussion Forum      Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

For the record, my beliefs...

by ållipse (no login)

"and then you're an evolutionist but (unless i still don't remember) i forgot you were because (now that i think about it) i think you said you had some problems with evolution that were a bit on the creationist side... like you think evolutions applies to this point but not this one... in any case, i forgot, i forget, nevermind all that :)"

I guess the confusion is partly my fault as well, for having a confusing viewpoint and never explicitly stating it. Because of my viewpoint, I may sometimes argue on either side of the debate, but I'll never argue that evolution is wrong or incomplete; although I may argue that an evolutionist is looking at things from the wrong perspective some.

We know the universe is expanding. This is something no Christian can deny, it's simple, observational evidence. In science, a theory is good for its predictions. If a theory can make a prediction and have that prediction verified, that makes it a "good" theory. Well, it doesn't take a PhD in physics to realize that if we can predict things in the future by filling in t=future_time to our equations, then we can postdict things in the past by filling in t=past_time. And it doesn't take any knowledge of complex mathematical formalisms to realize that if the universe is expanding as we progress toward the future, then if we play our observations in reverse, it collapses, and eventually reaches a single point (classically speaking). This is the basis for the Big Bang. What happened before the point began expanding, we don't know, but it's apparent, in my opinion, that if we rewind the universe, we reach a point.

A similar case can be made with evolution. It's obvious that what modern Creationists call "microevolution" does take place; all breeds of dogs didn't exist "in the beginning"; evolution is the cause. Similarly with the races of humans. What Creationists usually deny is that "macroevolution" (evolution into new species) can occur. But it just seems obvious to me that if a small amount of evolution (poodle to miniature poodle) can occur in a few hundred years, then a large amount of evolution (wolf to dog) can occur in a few thousand years, and even larger amounts of evolution could occur in the 650 million years since the last great extinction, and evolution on the range of single-celled organism to man can occur in the 4 billion years since the first signs of life appeared on Earth. I think that evolution, just like the Big Bang, is a perfectly sound model, which is what a scientific theory is supposed to be.

I am also a Christian and believe the Bible is infallible the Word of God. I do *not* believe that the Creation account told in Genesis is metaphoric. And, unlike Michael, who shares my view that Genesis is not a metaphor, I believe that the days of Creation as mentioned in Genesis 1 and 2 are literal days. I believe that the Earth is somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 years old; I believe man was created from dust; and I believe most species were created as they exist today, although, unlike most Creationists, I do believe they have been evolving since Creation (for instance, I seriously doubt that the dog species was created; they most likely *did* evolve from wolves). And, another belief I share with the Creationists that might strike you as odd, is I believe theistic evolution is a foolish theory/belief.

In modern times, these two I have presented ideas may seem completely conflicting, but I don't think mennonite was far off when he said we may all believe the same thing and be stating it in different ways, although I agree with him in a way that he probably won't agree with ;-), which makes his point even clearer, because now I have arrived at the same conclusion that mennonite has come to from a perpendicular angle. And here's the main crux of my belief: WHAT MAKES US THINK THE UNIVERSE *HAD* TO BEGIN AT t=0? If we rewind the clock back as far as our theories take us, we eventually get to a single point we call the Big Bang, but there is good reason to believe that our future theories will take us even further back than the Big Bang itself (M-theory has some proposals as to what *caused* the Big Bang). And our current theories (GR + QFT) won't even allow us to even go back all the way; we can only get as far back as the Planck time, so it's obvious that we don't have a complete picture of the Big Bang because we don't even have a complete theory yet. So, what if we never find a starting point for *everything*? We may find a starting point for the universe we live in with M-theory, but if so then before the universe, there was the multiverse from which it came, and perhaps that multiverse began from some other event. What was The Beginning? Why does The Beginning have to start when theory postdicts it should? If a deity created this world, couldn't it have just as easily begun the universe at any other time as t=0? And what if there is not a t=0 on an absolute scale, but any defined 0 time will always have negative times that came before it? When should God have begun the universe then? Is it possible that he made the universe without a beginning? Of course. Is it also possible that he created the universe with a beginning? Of course. Does the universe itself tell us the nature of God? Possibly, but not enough so that man has teased it out and understood it yet. Where do we get information about the nature of God? If you're a Christian you get that information from Holy Scriture. And according to the interpretation of the Bible that I believe, the universe was created 6 to 10 thousand years ago. And according to the interpretation of man's discovered theories, if we define absolute 0 time as 6 to 10 thousand years ago, then we will have some negative times that came before it. In other words, God created the universe in an aged state. But this really shouldn't be that large of a theological leap, seeing that God also created Adam also in an aged state (Adam was never an infant, and neither was the universe).

Posted on Aug 31, 2005, 1:26 PM

Respond to this message   

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums