The QBasic / QB64 Discussion Forum      Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

interesting.

by (Login MCalkins)

base 12 would take some getting used to. I think the change would be impractical. Still, an interesting concept.

Nowadays, a more practical system would be base 16. Most expirienced computer users are already quite familiar with it. It is already used extensively in the computer world. You already know the advantages of it, such as having each of its digits exactly coorespond to 4 binary digits.

A change to hexidecimal would be fairly easy for expirienced computer users to accept, but for everyone else, it would be problematic. Road signs would be problematic. And what if the doctor gives me the wrong dosage because he was confused? What if a pilot gets confused and flys me into a mountain?

Decimal is so engrained in our culture and in our minds that I think it will always be our primary system, although hexadecimal is clearly already the secondary system.

Regards,
Michael

This message has been edited by MCalkins on Mar 24, 2006 8:47 AM

Posted on Mar 24, 2006, 8:46 AM

Respond to this message   

Return to Index

Response TitleAuthor and Date
Instead of using A-F for 10-16. . .rpgfan3233 on Mar 24
 *Zeta , I don`t know how Z became our last letterroy on Mar 24
 *am used to A-F. You don't want to make keyboards incompatible. on Mar 24
  *I'm used to A-F too but think of the road signs like speed limit signs in kilometres. . .rpgfan3233 on Mar 24

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums