<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Thread List  

Videos don't work. Using XP. Help?

February 21 2005 at 7:20 AM
  (Login Steveorama2001)

Hi, I just got Starship Titanic off ebay after years of wanting to get it, and most of the game seems to work, but I think the videos are not working. In the begining, when the Starship crashed into the house, there is only sound, and a black screen. Also when I press the opening credits button, there is only music and a black screen. Anyone know what my problem could be?

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bilbo
(no login)

Re: Videos don't work. Using XP. Help?

February 21 2005, 8:26 AM 

Hi Steve, have you checked out Tech Support button at top?
If you've got DirectX and graphics drivers all up to date, I'd try the 'Windows 98 compatibility' by right-clicking the game icon.

Respond to this message   

(Login pinkozcat)
SST Admin

... but reading some of the other posts on the subject

February 21 2005, 9:14 AM 

... if the operating system is XP then there are problems if SP2 has been installed.

One player was able to get the game to work after uninstalling SP2 but another, who had XP with SP2 as an integral part, was not able to get the game running at all.

minnie the pink

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ploke
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/pinkozcat

Respond to this message   
Steve
(no login)

Re: ... but reading some of the other posts on the subject

February 23 2005, 11:36 PM 

Hmmm. I'm not even sure if the network here will let me remove SP2. Anyone understand those other techniques described, such as loggin in as an administrator, or downloading some file. It was kind of vague.

Thanks

Respond to this message   
Bilbo
(no login)

February 24 2005, 8:25 AM 

I'm pretty certain SP2 can only be removed if you added it, reason being there'll be a System Restore Point created at the time of adding. Have a look see at System Restore under Accessories/System Tools.
Logging in as Administrator should be accessible from the shutdown menu but am not at my XP machine right now. I'm fairly certain I am administrator anyway.
If the shutdown menu doesn't have it, try the Users tab in Control Panel.
Have you tried right-clicking the game icon and running Win98 compatibility?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

February 24 2005, 10:40 PM 

Ok I think I know how to log on as administrator. I assume the run win98 compatibility will appear if I am logged ona as an administrator?

Anyways, I'll test it once my comp is done defragmenting

Respond to this message   
Bilbo
(no login)

February 25 2005, 8:20 AM 

The 'right-click game icon and try Win98 compatibility mode' should work in any login.

Respond to this message   

redape
(Login redape24)

more specifically....

February 25 2005, 11:40 PM 

right click on the icon, then click on properties & again on compatability. This gave me 4 options: win 95/win 98/win NT 4.0/win 2000. I have tried using win 95 and also win 98 compatability, but unfortunately still cannot manage to operate the tv controls. Any ideas?

Respond to this message   

(Login BlondieGalaxy)
SST Admin

redape

February 27 2005, 11:32 PM 

I can't get the game to play at all when I do the compatibility thing.

However, running it on WindowsXP with the SP2(I have not tried to remove it yet) works some what. I can get my SGT room set up. I can turn the TV on. The up and down arrows channel selectors appear, but won't work. I can't change the cannels. Is this about the same as your problem?

Blondie

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Yes that's my prob toooo

April 15 2005, 11:17 AM 

Hello out there

I'm new to ST and like ppl here bought it on e bay. (thinking how clever I was) I can set up my room and turn tv on and off but no channel surfing

I have used the selectsoftusa help service and they have been terrific. About to contact them again to see if they can help. They did say that they do have probs with xp service pack 2 that Microsoft were being a bit slow in resonding to...... I wonder if this is where my journey ends.....

cello

Respond to this message   
Steve
(no login)

Re: Videos don't work. Using XP. Help?

March 10 2005, 2:19 AM 

Well I didn't even know there was a tv, but when the video of the ship crashing into my hoouse begsins, the screen turns black. OTherwise, things seem to work. This makes me mad, the ebay auction i bought this from said it was xp compatible. Hmmmm, oh well. hey if anyone else's got some tips throw them our way

Thanks

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Same Problem!

April 27 2005, 3:00 AM 

Disabling SP 2 is not an option. Any other suggestions to get this game fully functional?

Respond to this message   

(Login redape24)

I just gave up.........

May 3 2005, 6:51 AM 

and went back to playing it on my old PC which has Windows 98, as XP2 was installed on my new you-beaut Dell model & cannot be uninstalled. The TV does need to be turned on, if I remember rightly, to get a picture of the correct location somewhere else in the game.However, not everyone has the luxury of having two computers, so I hope a solution is found. Keep me informed, guys

Respond to this message   

(no login)

We're all pitching in

June 13 2005, 4:21 AM 

I just discovered this infamous problem myself, and was wondering why the heck it suddenly wasn't working, when it worked just last year! The answer must be SP2, which I thought was a great idea. I'm afraid to remove it, since I know that it's good for security and several other added options. And fooling around with codecs hasn't really helped. :-\ I'm sad.

Best test to do with this video problem is to just start a new game and click on the TV power button. If one of us EVER gets to see Douglas Adams himself telling us to get on with it, I'm sure we'll be kissing the screen. LOL Even so, I know we can HEAR him, and his rallying cry seems to be a call from the dead urging us to fix the problem. Okay, maybe not. LOL

Good luck to us all, and I'll be continuing, off and on, to find solutions to this problem. Let's not throw away our copies just yet! This game IS worth it (IMHO)!

Marcus (svankmaj)

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Videos don't work. Using XP. Help?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Thread List  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement