<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RWS 45 .177 ???

January 16 2007 at 2:42 PM
  (Login CarmelKid)
from IP address 70.105.252.133

I've been thinking of buying a RWS M34, but the other day I saw an RWS Mod 45 .177 with a Tasco scope for 150.00 at a local gun dealer. It looks like it has some age on it. Anything special to look for when buying a used air rifle? Is there a date stamped on it somewhere? And is this gun rated as powerful as the newer RWS's? I'm new to airguns, have plenty of firearms but am looking for something to plink with at home without annoying the neighbors, plus need to rid the area of squirrels and possibly some feral pigeons. Probably my answers are on this forum somewhere I'm still reading and learning. Thanks in advance for the help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login lymonm)

date stamp on Diana/RWS...

January 17 2007, 6:15 AM 

is usually on the tube at the rear on the left side of the gun, very small. Spring guns can be damaged (dry firing, leaving them cocked) so there is a risk.
If you cannot shoot the gun over a chronograph it would be hard to be certain.
A 45 (in good order) will perform like a 34.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(no login)

RWS 45

January 17 2007, 5:08 PM 

There have actually been two completely different modern Dianas known as the model 45.

The first was introduced in the late 1970's, as a more powerful successor to the long-popular model 35. It was made about 1977 to 1984 or so, and is characterized by a large sliding safety at the rear of the receiver, and a bolt through the stock just above the trigger. This gun is rather large and mechanically complex, but is still well-liked and sought after.

This gun was so popular that soon after it was discontinued in the mid-80's, Diana created a new model 45. This is simply a model 34 action in a new ambidextrous stock that closely resembles the lines of the original gun.

Both are excellent, powerful and reliable rifles that should be fine for the jobs you describe.

Respond to this message   

(Login CarmelKid)

RWS 45 ???

January 18 2007, 1:53 PM 

Thanks for the info, I haven't been back by the gun shop. I do recall that when I looked at this 45 I noticed that the trigger guard was kind of square in shape. I assume this is the older model? I hear a lot of people saying that dry firing air rifles causes damage. What kind of damage and how hard is it to repair the damage?
I'm guessing the only real way to tell how good this gun is, is to bite the bullet (or pellet) and purchase it then try it out. No way to tell just by looking.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(no login)

January 18 2007, 5:45 PM 

It probably was the older gun, which had an angular trigger guard. Again, the other main features are the big sliding safety and through-bolt above the trigger.

When a spring-piston gun is fired, the air compressed between the piston and pellet not only propels the pellet, but has the effect of braking the piston to a stop. Dry-firing lets the piston accelerate all the way into the front of the cylinder unchecked, and in theory can damage the piston, piston seal, and spring.

Most guns are engineered to withstand an occasional mishap, but habitual dry-firing will cause damage. Then again it's easy enough to replace damaged parts if needed.

Respond to this message   

(Login mattleon)

MDRiskill!!.......

September 4 2008, 9:31 AM 

.....hi! - u seem to know alot about 45s!! i have a model 45 .20 cal - i have not been aware for the past 15 years or so - but on buying some pellets for it a few days ago for the 1st time in years, the guy in the gun shop told me i was in possession of something quite sought-after and very very rare!! how true's this!?!!?

Respond to this message   
JR
(no login)

RWS model 45 .20 RARE INDEED!!!

October 1 2008, 11:49 AM 

I've owned a model 45 for 20 years now, and love it. I've been researching it for a while now and NEVER found anything on a .20 cal Model 45. Mine is .177. It's a great medium powered springer. Funny thing is, it's one of, if not the first, RWS Magnum rifles made.

KEEP IT!!!

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
Owner Moderator

Cheap paperback books

October 1 2008, 8:08 PM 

If I see a pellet gun in a pawn shop or gun shop, I ask if I can see how it shoots. You can get a rough idea of the power by shooting a pellet into a thick paperback novel. I use those romance novels that my mother-in-law likes to read. Those are denser and should stop pellets better. It's not a chronograph, but will tell whether or not the gun has any power or if it sounds like it's falling apart. Just get the ok from the shop keeper and explain that dry firing will ruin the gun, unlike a .22 rimfire.

That vintage of Diana's usually have leather seals. Sometimes those can dry out and lose compression and shoot a bit weak. But a little silicone oil or home made concoction (search on this) can restore it.

See what kind of scope it has. If not an airgun rated scope or one of those thin 20mm tubes, talk them down as it's probably nearing the breaking point or, in the case of the skinny ones, next to useless.

The 45's were Diana's answer to the first wave of mangumitis. While called a magnum it's probably in the 700's. Not like the "1000 fps" guns touted today. Still a nice gun, though.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - RWS 45 .177 ???
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement