<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes

June 4 2012 at 1:36 PM
  (Login LexingtonGreg)
from IP address 74.131.60.83

Not very many people have ever offered aftermarket muzzle brakes for RWS sidelevers. If anybody has a picture of an RWS sidelever gun with the factory plastic front removed, please post the picture, so I can see what going on up front mechanically speaking.

About the only maker of these muzzle brakes was Joe McAllister, who did buisness as "MuzzleMack". He went out of buisness about 15 months ago. Now, he appears to be selling muzzle brakes again as "HPA Sports" on ebay. Joe went out of buisness prior to the announcement of Hectors .20 caliber 54 project, and now that I'm in on that, I'm curious...

Are his offerings for the RWS sidelevers any good?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login RinCG)

Re: Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes

June 4 2012, 4:25 PM 

[linked image]

I forget who made that one for me??
Pretty easy job to remove the sight actually.
the front sight is held on with a grub screw and there are two dovetails that run parallel with the barrel to keep it in vertical position(wanna say they are about 1.5-2" long). You may need to knock off the wings of the dovetails with a bit of 150 grit wet or dry paper to get a brake on. The sight also holds the barrel sleeve on, so size the brake to do the same.

Respond to this message   

(Login RinCG)

Memory hits it's stride

June 9 2012, 2:09 PM 

but don't ask me what I had for supper yesterday.

Tim Wilson CustomBrakz was the maker. Quite custom too. Type of gun, I.D./ O.D./length of the brake, length and pitch of the brake to sleeve dimensions as well as how much available air space between muzzle and barrel. Little expensive but the fit and finish was Fantastic. (couldn't find his site so no linkie)

Respond to this message   

(Login bruce.itterman)

Please let me know if you get one and how it fits....

June 7 2012, 6:08 AM 

I have been thinking about one for a long time to replace the ugly RWS one.

Its lower on my list a HMO piston is first and would have had one already if it was not for Taxes sad.gif

Bruce

Respond to this message   
Jeff C.
(no login)

Greg the OEM brake is some kind of Non Ferrous metal

June 10 2012, 9:11 AM 

No plastic there.

Respond to this message   
Jeff C.
(no login)

Greg my apologies. I had my 54 with the T05 trigger out

June 12 2012, 8:50 AM 

yesterday and the MB is plastic. They must have changed the brake when they changed triggers. My other 54 and my 52 are the older T01 and they both have the metal snout.

Respond to this message   
LexingtonGreg
(Login LexingtonGreg)

I'm worried about having to file dovetails off

June 12 2012, 10:57 AM 

And I'm not too keen on that.

Respond to this message   

(Login Dieker)

I wish those dovetails were 11 MM. That would make adding

June 12 2012, 11:11 AM 

a globe front sight easy. You may be able to use Straight Shooters Universal MB. Its oversized with shims. I really don't know diameter of the 52 barrel though. I need to measure that next time i have one apart. At least the dovetails on the 52 will always be concealed so some minor filing is not to big a deal. And no bluing to screw up. I think I used a stone on my 350 mag to fit on a JM brake. After I did that the SS brakes became available again.

Respond to this message   

(Login UncJohnny)

HPA Muzzle Brake for 54

June 23 2012, 4:54 PM 

I just rec. one this wk. and it fits like a glove. Looks good and the bluing is a perfect match to the barrel. I'm pleased! Note; My 54 is a T05 Mfg. early 2008. The front sight housing is a light weight metal casting (pot metal) held in place with one hex screw. Mine was visible, however it could be hidden under the front sight blade. After loosening the the hex screw I had to pull and twist back&forth to get it off. My barrel is 18mm OD with the last 2 3\4" stepped down to 15mm. The top of the barrel at the muzzle has a flat machined at a slight angle that orients the sight housing. This is all hidden by the brake. The brake is 5"long & 1"OD. When installed the rifle is 1 1\2" longer. The brake is held on with two hex screws and comes with an allen key that will also fit the hex screw on front sight housing. Ordered Sat. Received Wed.

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login bruce.itterman)

To confirm you got hte Muzzle break for HPA Sports?

June 25 2012, 4:30 AM 

Thanks
Bruce

Respond to this message   
RedFeather
(no login)

Cosmetics aside, does it reduce noise?

June 25 2012, 4:47 AM 

I'm still not too sold on brakes for springers. They all sound about the same to me.

Respond to this message   

(Login LexingtonGreg)

John is there any way you could post pictures?

June 25 2012, 6:41 AM 

And just to confirm, there's no filing of the barrel dovetails for installation...just slip it on, and tighten down a couple of grub screws. Right?

Respond to this message   

(Login sachmo7)

Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes

June 25 2012, 9:44 AM 

I received a brake for my RWS T-01 52 a couple of weeks ago. In my case the brake would not fit, not even close. To get it to work I took a piece of tight fitting dowel and some valve grinding compound and worked on it for about 3 hours. I also relieved the outside of the barrel with some 320 grit wet and dry sand paper. The interior fit is now nice and snug as it should have been from the git go. My other complaint is the 18mm part of the brake that fits over the barrel sleeve is to large showing a small gap. In contrast the factory brake was a perfect fit. Now the good part. The exterior machining and finish is very nice and I like the looks of it once installed. This has been my experience and for a part such as this that costs $75 I expect a better fit.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Aftermarket RWS 54 muzzle brakes

June 25 2012, 6:08 PM 

Bruce: Yes;from HPA Sports, Boise,ID. purchased on ebay. RedFeather: Mine is solid (non ported) and the sound level seams to be the same as original. Greg: I'm 67 years old and had every intention of making it through this life without becoming a computer person, however that all changed last December when my wife brought this thing into our house. At this point in time pic's are beyond my abilities. The pic's you posted with your original request are a true representative of the three styles of brakes. My rifle looks just like the pic posted. My Rifle barrel has no dovetail. Just a flat to orient the housing. David: I'm sorry you had the problems and glad it turned out to your satisfaction. $75 Does that tell me that your brake is ported? If so, what is the sound level like? Powder burners are louder to shooter and quieter down range with ported brakes. (7mm Rem Mag & 300 Wby Mag)

Respond to this message   

(Login bruce.itterman)

Thanks.

June 26 2012, 6:57 AM 

I actually did not expect it would affect noise level really. Breaks on springers are more for covering up for barrel for looks after removing the front site, balance and barrel harmonic changes. If you change your break and groups open up it is most likely barrel harmonics have changed (If its not hitting the break). Also POI can change due to changes in muzzle flip due to change in weight.

Bruce

Respond to this message   

(Login sachmo7)

Aftermarket RWS 54 muzzle brakes

June 26 2012, 11:07 AM 

John, I did purchase the ported muzzle brake. As far as sound levels go I really could not tell much difference one way or the other. I think the majority of noise associated with springers is mechanical in nature and not associated with muzzle blast. I went for the ported brake more for the looks than any thing else. The ported brake also had no discernible effect on recoil but I will say that barrel harmonics worked in my favor and groups tightened up a bit. I like the extra weight up front and to me at least the rifle seems to balance a little better. As previously mentioned I really like the brake with the exception of getting it to fit which was a real pain and this coming from a world class tinkerer.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Aftermarket RWS 48 52 54 muzzle brakes
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement