Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Puppy Terms, good for the breed?
    • (no login)
      Posted May 21, 2010 3:55 PM

To go along with the discussion about terms of agreement for new puppies I was wondering how these agreements would affect the breed in the long-term.

On numerous occasions I have been contacted by individuals to offer an opinion on an agreement for a new puppy. I have also spent much time looking for show potentials for clients. Personally, I am somewhat amazed at some of the proposals I have heard. Whole litters back, the owner owes the breeder an additional dollar amount (over $1000) if the puppy finishes (finishes at owners expense, mind you), split litters for life of bitch (4 litter manditory). In addition, the initial prices are just outrageous. $5000 for an 8 week old puppy that isn't even the pick of the litter. Who would agree to this? Seems to me that everyone is trying to outdo their neighbor, friend and mentor to just get more. More money, more puppies back, more stipulations and more control. Apparently getting more is the trend of the moment. Where does it end?

When I have asked specific breeders how they can justify some of these outlandish transactions I have heard varied responses. A couple of examples: "If they (the puppy buyer) know the terms up front and agree then why not?" "If so and so can get XXXX for their inferior puppies then I can certainly get more for my superior ones" and my favorite is simply "Because I can".

How will this attitude and these types of transactions affect the breed in the long-term?
      Are we eliminating potentially gifted new participants in the fancy for the bottom line?
      Should marketability be a consideration in your breeding program?

Betsy
      www.blovedbulldogs.com

Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement