Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • puppy area
    • Robin (no login)
      Posted Dec 12, 2011 7:48 AM

This is what has worked very well for me -
      The smallest bedroom in my house (about the size of a large walk-in closet) is my puppy room. The room is heated with a small electric heater with a temp control. The floor has a plastic tarp over the carpet to protect it, then a huge quilt on top of the plastic. The door to the room has a good fit to the floor so there are no drafts. I also block off the room register so the furnace or A/C kicking on doesn't change the room temp. There is a small work table that holds a scale, phone, radio and supplies. Lights in the room are on a dimmer switch and a light-blocking shade is on the window.
      In the room is an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the probe tucked in under the blankets in the pool so I can quickly check both the room temp and the pool temp. There is also a small gauge that tells the room humidity and if it is too dry, I have a cool water humidifier to run. Also in the room is a nice digital scale (like the post office uses) to weigh pups and an oxygen generator if needed.
      Pups are kept in a kiddie pool with a kennel heater (12" x 18" 'Lectro Kennel) that is temp programmable. The kennel heater is covered with a crib pad, then towels and blankets line the pool. There are a couple of huge fluffy stuffed animals in the pool for the pups to snuggle into, then a sheet is draped over the pool. I prefer a pool to an incubator because it gives the pups room to move around to a cooler or warmer spot that suits them, and since my cat likes to nap with the pups, she can get in and out by herself.
      I covered a 2' x 3' x 4" piece of 'egg crate' foam with a big towel and use this to lay the dam on when the pups nurse. If she gets too warm in the room I put a 'cool collar' on her and can also drape a 'cool cloth' over her body, just keeping it away from the pups. The foam pad also makes a comfy spot for her to sleep if she doesn't want to leave her pups.
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement