ITS NOW OFFICIAL-SOMARE RECEIVED CORRUPT MONEY FROM TAIWANApril 30 2009 at 2:42 PM
No score for this post
|Impoverished PNGean |
Thursday 30th April
THE Opposition has welcomed the continuing investigation by Taiwanese Government to get to the bottom of the failed Taiwan/PNG
diplomatic dollar racket which defrauded Taiwan of $US29.8 million (K85 million) by two brokers in a bid to establish diplomatic
ties with PNG.
Leader of the Opposition Sir Mekere Morauta said Papua New Guineans wanted to know more about the involvement of the Somare
government in this saga.
Minister for National Planning Paul Tiensten, Public Accounts Committee chairman Timothy Bonga and private lawyer Florian Gubon
have all admitted their involvement.
Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare has admitted to having two meetings in 2006 with former Taiwanese foreign minister James Huang.
He has so far refused to inform the people of the matters discussed at the meeting.
Control Yuan, Taiwans anti- corruption organisation has already charged former Secretary General of the National Security Council,
Chiou I-jen and Mr Huang over this scandal. In 2006, Taiwan Foreign Ministry deposited $US29.8 million in an account with the OCBC
Bank in Singapore and appointed Mr Ching Chi-ju and Wu Shih-tsai, two Singaporean businessmen, as middlemen.
Taiwans foreign ministry ordered investigations after the diplomatic deal failed and began court actions against those involved.
On May 16, 2008, private lawyer Dr Florian Gubon admitted his involvement in the saga. He also revealed of the existence of the
signed Draft Communiqué by the Somare Government, establishing full diplomatic relations with Taiwan. Dr Gubon said his involvement
together with Messrs Tiensten and Bonga had the authority of the Prime Minister.
He alleged among others that:
* Middle Fly MP Roy Biyama was directed by Sir Michael to cut short a private visit to Israel and join Mr Tienstens team in
Singapore to travel to Taiwan;
* US$200,000 was paid to him (Dr Gubons). He subsequently passed $US50,000 to Wu Shih-tsai; and
* Further K50,000 and K15,000 were given to two other Papua New Guinea leaders.
Oppositions attempts to get the Prime Minister and the Parliament to discuss the saga were gagged by the Government through the
On Monday (April 28) the media reported that authorities in Taiwan were finding it difficult to call the Papua New Guinea Guests
who were part of the Taiwan/PNG diplomatic scandal.
- Re: ITS NOW OFFICIAL-SOMARE RECEIVED CORRUPT MONEY FROM TAIWAN - But I'm giving no proof Somare got anything on Apr 30, 2009, 3:11 PM
- Somare is an International Criminal... - Anonymous on Apr 30, 2009, 7:29 PM
- Re: ITS NOW OFFICIAL-SOMARE RECEIVED CORRUPT MONEY FROM TAIWAN - Anonymous on May 1, 2009, 5:43 PM
- THE MONEY TRAIL LEADS TO SOMARE - Anonymous on May 3, 2009, 1:47 PM
- Somare is responsible for the FAILED STATEHOOD - XXX on May 24, 2009, 1:48 AM
- Re: ITS NOW OFFICIAL-SOMARE RECEIVED CORRUPT MONEY FROM TAIWAN - Anonymous on Jun 1, 2009, 3:28 PM
- Re: ITS NOW OFFICIAL-SOMARE RECEIVED CORRUPT MONEY FROM TAIWAN - Anonymous on Jul 6, 2009, 12:28 AM