TV repair forum - Open   
See our courses below

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to main  

RCA XL 100 - Audio is all static

December 19 2008 at 6:18 PM
No score for this post
  (Login bhetland)

Hi All,

I have a 25 year old RCA XL 100 tv that worked just fine for 22 years.

About 3 years ago I started having intermittant problems with the audio. After having the TV on for about an hour, all of a sudden the audio would go to complete static (and loud enough to make you mess your pants). You could turn it off and on, and the problem would disappear for a while.

Over the course of the past 3 years the problem has gotten worse, and now, as soon as you turn it on, it is FULL VOLUME STATIC.

The picture is GREAT, and yah I know, the TV isn't worth a hill of beans, but if there were something I could try to do to fix it, that'd be great. I just hate to throw something away when everything works but one little part (probably).

I'm a total novice with electronics. I've removed the back cover and I see the board that the speakers plug into. When I unplug them of course the static goes away.

Is there something I can replace / check / try, to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Brent

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lenny Haney
(Login ljhaney587)

Re: RCA XL 100 - Audio is all static

No score for this post
December 25 2008, 6:04 AM 

With a set that old, just about anything can go wrong. However, maybe it is just a bad solder joint. I'd start by examining the solder connections at the audio section. That would be the area where the speaker wires attach and the associated circuitry there.

Using an old toothbrush, you could try gently pushing on the circuit board and components in audio area to see if you can make the problem go away, thereby, localizing the problem.

Lenny

Brent
(Login bhetland)

Re: RCA XL 100 - Audio is all static

No score for this post
January 1 2009, 3:58 AM 

Thanks Lenny,

Actually, after I posted this I pulled the circuit board out a bit and blew all of the components off with canned air. Then I wiggled a few of the audio related plugs and components around.

I turned the tv on and it ran for HOURS without the static. The audio was perfect!
We don't use the tv much, but the problem has not reappeared.

So perhaps it was the 25 years worth of dust, shorting something out.

Thanks much for the reply!
Brent

Current Topic - RCA XL 100 - Audio is all static
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to main  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement