<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Commonwealth Disappointment

August 20 2002 at 11:10 AM
Score 4.0 (1 person)
Kath  (no login)

I was fortunate enough to be in Manchester and see the finals of the netball tournament - the final match was certainly the most exciting I have ever seen, and Australia were worthy winners (yes, I'm an Aussie).

I have to say how disappointed I was with the performance of England, and in particular their GS. I can't believe the coach didn't pull her and put in a mobile shooter to assist the GA. It's time to get away from this static game of holding a space - it doesn't work at this level no matter how tall you are (look at Irene Van Dyk who is now far more mobile with the NZ team). With nothing to lose I believe they could have moved GA back to GS (GA was the more accurate shooter) and bring on another GA so both attackers were more mobile and could move freely. Instead the coach stuck with a losing side who lost! The fans around me were all very disappointed with England, as was I.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Re: Commonwealth Disappointment

Score 4.0 (1 person)
August 20 2002, 3:30 PM 

Kath - Some of what you say came across in the TV coverage but it also looked as if we made far too many 'loose' passes in the centre court which the Jamacians nearly always seemed to pick up.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Disappointed too
(no login)

Re: Re: Commonwealth Disappointment

Average Score 4.0 (2 people)
September 13 2002, 9:55 AM 

I was there too - and in my opinion, Abby appeared not to want to use the shooter....Alex was fighting hard for space, and then didn't get the ball. If that's the case, then put on someone who Abby WILL give the ball to. Alex was then effectively ruled out of the game, and when she did get the ball, you could see she was frustrated and understandably not as focused as she could be. Let's sort this out ladies - it's about time we knew how to win things, not heading backwards to where we've come from. And if we've got the wrong personnel, then get rid of them. End of story.

Jane
(no login)

Jo Steed

Score 3.0 (1 person)
September 16 2002, 7:56 PM 

Could anyone enlighten me why Jo decided to call it a day with her netball career? Was she injured at the Commonwealth games or was she as fed up as we were that she was not regularly the 1st choice GS? She was undoubtedly the best GS for England in Manchester(proved when she did play!) and I think many more of us will understand the final selection if she was actually injured. It was most apparent that not one player feeding the circle had any confidence in the selected GS!

Anonymous
(Login daisyday)

Re: Commonwealth Disappointment

Score 4.0 (1 person)
September 25 2002, 11:29 AM 

Some comments refer to a reluctance by Abby Teare to release the ball to Astles.I personally felt that Alex Astle showed no sign of wanting the ball.Yes she held a space but not in a dominant manner and when this ploy was not effective she offered no alternative. After even the 1st quarter it was crying out for us to try and vacate the circle and leave more space for the GA to attack but I am afraid Miss Astles lacks the mobility to do this.Sorry but I think it is time for the new breed of shooter(regardless of height) faster agile and quick thinking.

Elaine
(Login Laini)

I agree with 'disappointed too'.

Score 5.0 (1 person)
September 25 2002, 8:02 PM 

I also think that Abby seemed very reluctant to pass the ball to Alex. Communication seemed a little dodgy and Abby seemed to have no confidence in her. Olivia Murphy was passing the ball to Alex with confidence, and rightly so, she was getting good position and only missed 5 shots in the whole game. I was not there, but watched the TV coverage and thought that England played a good game, with most passes seeming to be lost in the midcourt or by the goal circle, not just by the net.
I don't think that the loss can be blamed entirely on Alex, or any other player, for that matter. Netball is a team game and teamwork is the only thing that will win a game.

Phantom Menance
(no login)

England

Score 4.0 (1 person)
October 15 2002, 6:09 PM 

England's play throughout the whole tournament was terrible!! The players do not know how to release the ball the first time, and the defense were slow to react to umpires and making the same mistake time after time. Amanda Newton in the medal play off was nowhere and left Sonia alone in the circle. Abbey wasa off and missed too many shots, but I felt that Alex was up for it and her shooting was accurate, even under emmense pressure!! England need to look at how they are going to turn things around. But i think that a change of attitude is needed!!

Jane
(no login)

Commonwealth Games selection

No score for this post
October 16 2002, 6:22 PM 

I think England played well throughout the Commonwealth games but the shooting/attacking selection was the main problem, which at times did make it look rather a mediocre standard. There will obviously be some people who think otherwise but, in my opinion, if Tracey (WA) and Jo (GS) had played the 3rd/4th play-off match, England would have beaten Jamaica by a few goals! Not much has been aired about the Commonwealth selection due to the AENA site being down but it's not too late to have a healthy discussion now. I for one am very pleased that Karen Greig is at last being given a chance and only hope she will be given court time at the next Test series in February as we need a confident, mobile, accurate shooter to play with Abby.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement