<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Netball Health & Safety

September 26 2002 at 2:09 PM
Score 4.0 (1 person)
samantha  (Login webbnetball)

Has anyone heard about the Health & Safety issue of netball posts. I have been informrd that posts now need weights to aid stability.
where can we get these?
are these not going to cause a trip hazzard around the back of the post?
can any one help with more information please as we cannot use our posts at the moment, therefore no netball.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andy Dawson
(Login Netballman)

Don't be PC, be sensible

Score 5.0 (1 person)
September 26 2002, 4:26 PM 

I'm not an expert, but it would seem to me that the key thing here is the duty of care. Any modern post *ought* to be properly weighted and designed, and not need further weighting - however if you have something old and wobbly which clearly poses a risk, then you need to do something about it.

And if I may be allowed a quick bit of personal rant - what on earth is our society like if we are so concerned with being PC that we lose sight of common sense on issues like this! We should never do anything just because some **** (insert own strength of expletive here) says we should - we should consider what is the sensible and reasonable thing to do. As Samantha points out, in this case the "solution" may well be worse than the "problem".

Sorry, long day (life) :-)

Andy

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Gordon
(no login)

Netball Health & Safety

No score for this post
September 26 2002, 4:36 PM 

Sam,

As Andy rants - this is PC gone mad. All you need to do is look at the courts and the posts along with their support bases and ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Do the supports pose a tripping hazard beyond what the average player/umpire would expect to find on a netball court?

2. Do the posts/supports have a reasonable balance so that they do not topple over if lightly touched but do 'give' if a player makes heavy contact with the post?

If the answer to Q1 is No then you're OK. If the answer to Q2 is No and you think it would be beneficial to put a sandbag over the base then you must go back and ask Q1 again. (and so on, until you have a situation where you are happy - and by implication safe).

You should note that all published guidelines call for the support to be wholly outside the court. Stands which sit over the goal line and have a bit on court are generally considered to be very dangerous for obvious reasons.

QED?

FluffyPlayer
(no login)

Re: Netball Health & Safety

No score for this post
October 4 2002, 12:28 PM 

Not meaning to be a kill joy, but last season, playing in a high wind, I was hit by a post which blew over, despite having weights on the bottom...so it's not PC, it's worth considering from a safety point of view - particularly if you don't have public liability insurance on your playing venue.

Andy Dawson
(Login Netballman)

If you will play in a hurricane...

No score for this post
October 4 2002, 3:25 PM 

Fluffyplayer,

Good grief, what sort of conditions must it have been like to blow over a post with weights on!?!?!?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be let on court if the weather was that bad - I would have thought that was more the issue to be concerned with.

Then again if it's blowing a hurricane who would WANT to go on court!

Andy

Andy Dawson
(Login Netballman)

ps...

No score for this post
October 4 2002, 3:26 PM 

Oooh sorry forgot to say I hope you weren't badly hurt!

Andy

Gordon
(no login)

No score for this post
October 4 2002, 4:57 PM 

WHAT - NO PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE - YOU MUST BE MAD.

Get affiliated right away!

FluffyPlayer
(no login)

No score for this post
October 8 2002, 3:43 PM 

Thanks for your concern guys - it WAS blowing a merry gale, but as our opposition had travelled more than 50+ miles, and the rain storm that preceded the winds had passed by, the two panel umpires officiating felt it was better to play than conceded the game....!

You do the sums....can't say we were happy.

And no, I wasn't badly hurt...just BRUISED!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement