<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shooting for Goal

November 6 2002 at 2:29 PM
No score for this post
Steve Goodfellow  (no login)

Questions for you all.

From a discussion the next two points came out.
Generally speaking most umpires do not penalize a player taking a shot at goal until she scores when
1) She received the ball whilst in contact with the court outside the goal circle (I was taught this was because you shouldn’t presume the intention was to shoot at goal).
2) From a Free Pass again for the same reason.

Admittedly these are fairly rare happenings and my instincts are that it is not an offence until a goal has been scored BUT the rule states that.. “in taking a shot for goal”(page 40)
and… “may not shoot for goal”(page 47).
So should the player be penalized immediately the ball leaves her hands rather than if she scores?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Re: Shooting for Goal

No score for this post
November 6 2002, 5:37 PM 

I was always told to blow the moment the ball left the shooters hands if you believed a shot at goal was being taken. I was told to state "Illegal Shot at Goal" and award a free pass.

On a related subject, I understand Head Office have said that where a game is being re-started after a stoppage (such as a ball on court) you should state that its a free pass but if the ball is in the circle then you should additionally allow the player to shoot. Anyone else come across this?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Kirsten Lowery
(no login)

Re: Shooting for Goal

No score for this post
November 6 2002, 10:09 PM 

When in Australia I umpired a lot of indoor netball. The goal circle is smaller than outdoor courts, so you get the shooters attempting from the edge of the circle, so you would get the shooters attempting to shoot after having contact with outside the circle. In the case of Superleague and state tournaments it was expected that the umpire would penalise ANY attempt, not just the ones that went in. You do learn to recognise what are attempts and what aren't after awhile. Like you said, it doesn't happen much, but you would probably recognise those that are attempts- action of the shooter, foot movements- all come into it- as does instinct!

As to what head office said- after restarting play for whatever reason, you would say free pass, because there is no one being penalised but you would have to allow them to shoot because there was no infringement, and they would be disadvantaged be something there was no control over.

Steve Goodfellow
(no login)

re starts

No score for this post
November 7 2002, 8:05 AM 

Gordon,
I was taught much the same way as you..
a) If outside the goal circle stop the game restart with a free pass to the team in possesion or "Toss up" if the ball was loose as opposed to being passed.Using the phrase "Free pass to ???"
b) If inside the goal circle stop the game restart using a phrase like "play starts on my whistle".

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement