<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Worth a ban?

November 18 2002 at 2:49 PM
No score for this post
Anon  (no login)

As a committee member of my local league I will be presiding over a discplinary hearing this week.
During a match, one player struck another across the head with some force.
Our main concern is wwhat action to take. The alleged victim has said they will not take legal action as long as we deal with the matter accordingly, and the general consesus within the committee is that a ban is necessary. But we have no idea about the length of a ban. Has anyone had experience in such a matter? AENa has sent guidelines , but they believe the length of the ban should be up to us (within reason)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Re: Worth a ban?

No score for this post
November 18 2002, 9:58 PM 

Some things to be aware of:

As a local league, you cannot withdrawn or restrict a players affiliation - only the county to which that player is affiliated may do that.

However it would be reasonable to impose a ban on a player in terms of playing in your league - a two or three match ban for a first offence would to my mind be reasonable - in this case you need to ask yourself was this incident so severe to justify something longer? Your hearing needs to establish just what happened, then having established this you can then answer the severity question. As an alternative you could fine the team league points but that tends to penalise the whole team rather than the individual player.

From a hearing point of view your role is to establish the facts, consider them and reach a decision. Your league rules should also make some provision for an appeal - an appeal is not a re-hearing of the case but a review of the facts and the decision the discipline committee reached. Such a hearing should not include those who made the original hearing. It will help your committee if, having found the case against the player proven they explain to the errant player what next steps are available to her are - you should allow a reasonable period - 7 days strikes me as being reasonable for this purpose, before you impose the chosen penalty/sanction.

Remember you can impose a fairly draconian penalty (eg. banned for the remainer of this season or 8 weeks whichever is the longer). But then suspend it for (say) 2 seasons so that if there is a repetition and as a result of a further discipline hearing within the next 2 seasons then you could impose this penalty.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Bambi on ice
(no login)

No score for this post
March 4 2003, 9:43 PM 

I know this message is from a longer time ago, but can anyone tell me what happen in this case please? I would very much apprecate it! thanks!

Truely
(no login)

No score for this post
March 5 2003, 10:57 AM 

Yes indeedee

Anon
(no login)

No score for this post
March 5 2003, 7:49 PM 

The offending player was given a 6 week ban, suspended for a year. It had come to light that the "victim" had been verbally abusing the player for most of the match, and the offending player snapped, hence the suspended ban. The "victim" was cited and given a two week ban.

Gordon
(no login)

No score for this post
March 11 2003, 11:08 AM 

Thanks for sharing the outcome with us - it just goes to show that there are indeed two sides to every story but as you recognised (very bravely done) that two wrongs don't make a right.

Thanks again

Gordon

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement