<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Frustration.......

January 24 2003 at 12:50 PM
No score for this post
Kirsten Lowery  (no login)

is what I constantly feel after umpiring these days. Do players actually know the rules? Do they think that umpires make them up as we go along? Why don't counties or at least leagues make some effort to educate teams and players. And before anyone says "it can't be done" then why do a lot of places in Australia have rules forums at least once a season, where clubs are expected to send one delegate.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Re: Frustration.......

No score for this post
January 24 2003, 5:53 PM 

Kirsten - It happens in leagues where (a) players don't pay in any other league; (b) teams remain fairly static; (c) umpires just umpire in the same league (and possibly for the same team) and (d) don't bother to go to rules discussions.

What do you do? You make sure you go to the League AGM armed with enough support that makes (a) the league run rules updates at least every other season and (b) has some sort of policy of supporting new umpires from Beginner to FENA 'C'

Then you'll find the message gets through or (like me) you go and umpire in a league that values you!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Andy Dawson
(Login Netballman)

I know the feeling

No score for this post
January 27 2003, 2:29 PM 

Whether playing or umpiring, I know just what you mean. But quite apart from the very valid point you make about refreshers etc, we still have an underlying problem with consistency of interpretation, especially when moving from one league/county/country to another. Gordon's point which implies isolationism as a root cause is true not only at the bottom of the scale but also, in a slightly different form, at the top.

On another tack - my old club used to "encourage" ALL players to umpire, at least to basic level, to try to create awareness amongst them of the difficulties umpires face and to be less readily critical. To what extent is this really an umpiring problem, and to what extent a player problem? Especially at the higher levels, it seems to me that increased competitive attitude is too often transforming into an unduly argumentative "barrack room lawyer" attitude. Should we perhaps become more draconian in penalising dissent of this sort?

Paul Smith
(no login)

Umpiring

No score for this post
May 8 2003, 1:50 PM 

I know this is an old topic now, but my form of defense would actually be to have the rule book with me and point to the section they'd just broken at a quarter-time interval...

But then they say that umpires make the worst players...

Personally, I hold on to the fact that a netball game doesn't exist without an umpire, and just appreciate the times when you get those games played so fluidly that rule infringments are obvious to all concerned :)

Louise
(no login)

Re: Frustration.......

No score for this post
May 16 2003, 5:48 PM 

In the league that I play in has 16 teams in it, and in what ever match you play in, you are always meant to have neutral umpires. That works except you get teams that don't have qualified umpires,so you play in matches that the umpires (as they are not qualified) don't have control of. To me this is just a accident waiting to happen. The teams should not be allowed to enter as it is really too dangerous and can affect the outcome of matches!

Another point ( which to me, you can see why people don't want to become qualified) is the amount of 'back chat' the umpires get. Some of the teams I've played against have something to say about decison that the umpire makes. I honestly can see why people don't want to put up with that. Yet with all of that i still really want to become a qualified umpire!

And yes I agree, if you dont have a umpire you dont have a match!!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement