<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Umpires

June 24 2003 at 11:36 AM
No score for this post
Shaza  (no login)

I have followed the debate regarding umpires on this site closely. As a player who has no umpiring experience let me defend fellow players. Most umpires continually make decisions on SUPPOSITION. If they don't clearly witness an infringement they assume it has taken place and award a penalty against a defender. Some umpiring decisions are based on rule books rather than common sense. I played a game last week where an umpire constanly blew for every minor occurence and NEVER ever played advantage to allow the game to flow. This particular umpire also protects GS/GA reducing the capacity of GD/GK to defend. I certainly never strecth to defend a goal shot but am reduced to jumping from five feet away from the shooter!
Sometimes just use common sense.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Player & Umpire
(no login)

Just had to reply

No score for this post
June 25 2003, 11:00 PM 

How on earth can you make such a statement:

"Most umpires continually make decisions on SUPPOSITION".

On what basis do you use "most"? I fear you have let
what you consider to be some bad calls cloud your ability to make and present a reasoned arguement.

What a shame.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Kirsten
(no login)

Re: Umpires

No score for this post
June 26 2003, 12:15 AM 

When you say "most umpires" do you mean those at all levels or those that umpire at league level? I know that umpires at a higher level don't use supposition; if you don't see it you can't pull it. We're also told that you never assume anything.
As for saying that umpires umpiring to the rulebook and not using commonsense, a bit harsh. Most umpires at league level would umpire to the book because that's what players expect. They may also not have enough experience or confidence to apply discretion that more experienced umpires have. That said, the rule book pretty much explains itself and there isn't that much room for umpiring descretion except in the areas of discipline.
And as you said, you don't umpire. Maybe you should, it might show you how hard it is, especially when all the players think they know better.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement