<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A Chance to Join a Team

October 30 2003 at 5:04 PM
No score for this post
Paul  (no login)

I would like to play Netball to keep fit, and for enjoyment,

There doesnt appear to me to be any Mixed teams in my area ,

Therefore the Clubs I have contacted have had to be Ladies clubs , to ask if they would allow Males to actually play.

One club has got back to me, and have to check rules,
They say I wouldnt be able to participate in competitions but should be able to train,
but they are going to check, does anyone else know in this situation, if I would be allowed to train?

And would I be allowed to play in any matches do you think?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kirsten
(no login)

Re: A Chance to Join a Team

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 11:53 PM 

Paul, unfortunately it's unlikely that you would be able to play matches if the local league is affiliated to the national body. The rules are clear on that.
However if it is an unaffiliated league, there may be some chance, but still unlikely. There is nothing stopping you training though, or getting involved in another capacity until a chance to play comes up. Ever thought of coaching or umpiring?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Gordon
(no login)

MEN in NETBALL

No score for this post
November 2 2003, 10:38 AM 

There is no problem in men (or boys come to that) joining in any netball club - just pay the annual affiliation fee. You can then joing in any training session but most league would not allow you to play in competitions since they hold to Rule 4.1 'The game is for single sex competition'

The importance of men in netball is not fully appreciated but nevertheless the fact that the England Team like to arrange matches against male teams as part of their competition development speaks for itself

The other thing that us blokes are increasingly finding is that we're wanted as umpires and coaches!

Andy Dawson
(Login Netballman)

Why put up with "umpiring and coaching"?

No score for this post
November 3 2003, 5:46 PM 

Paul,

All that Kirsten and Gorden have said is true - but why should you be funnelled into coaching or umpiring if you want to play?

Yes, you WILL encounter a LOT of prejudice - but keep going. Some teams will be positive and value you as a player. And if you start training, maybe other guys will join, then you have a mixed team. And if you have a mixed team, maybe other clubs will start some up.

Don't let them force (sorry, "encourage") you into doing something other than that which you really want!

Andy

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement