<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wing Attack tips

January 31 2004 at 6:44 PM
No score for this post
Nicki  (Login nicki_wd)

Hi, I need tips on getting the ball when the GK has the ball from the back line (our GK). I never know when to time my run or where to move. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login Netballman)

Confused!

No score for this post
February 10 2004, 12:36 PM 

Sorry Nicki, am I missing something here? As WA you can't get the ball from your GK from a backline pass - either you''d be offside or the pass would be over a third! It would have to go through another player first....

Or am I misunderstanding?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Netballer
(no login)

www.harlingtonnetball.co.uk

No score for this post
February 11 2004, 1:53 PM 

Holly
Login into the Harlington Netball League (Middlesex) site. They have divisions ranging from 7 (new teams) to Premier and contact details for each team. Contact those teams which are near you and am sure they will value another player to their team. The website address is below and message title. Good luck!

www.harlingtonnetball.co.uk

Nicki
(Login nicki_wd)

Re: Confused!

No score for this post
February 11 2004, 5:43 PM 

I emailed you about it, if you didn't get it, the emais is here:
I meant that I never know when to time my run after the WD/GK/GD have got it over the first third line. Do you get me? Do I go to get the ball near the third line nearest out defending goal or run when the ball is a bit furthur up past the centre circle.

Nicki
(Login nicki_wd)

Re: www.harlingtonnetball.co.uk

No score for this post
February 11 2004, 5:56 PM 

Thanks!

Anonymous
(Login Netballman)

Re: Wing Attack tips

No score for this post
February 17 2004, 1:21 PM 

I think I get it now :-)

Well, it does depend on not just you but your whole team, and the tactics they employ - but personally I'd say you shouldn't be crowding the defensive third line. I like my WAs to hold well back around the ATTACKING third line until the ball is brought out, then drive into midcourt to take the ball on from defence. This has several benefits: 1) more space in the defensive end, less crowding, so easier to for them to get space to receive the ball; 2) passes flow better through the court, and again more space; 3) easier to get into a position to take a safer pass in front; 4) better options for the next ball in if you're in the attacking half, including fast ball straight to the shooter.

Do you have any set routines for a backline pass? If not, why not work some out!

Good luck,

Andy

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Wing Attack tips

No score for this post
October 14 2004, 7:34 PM 

We used to have a 'channel' tactic where the ball would run straight from the GK end of the court to our shooting end. Each player would start at a different section on opposite sides of the court but in an order, it would go GK (with the ball), then GD, WD, WA, GA, GS (up and ready at the other end) one by one, people would wait their turn to dodge for the ball from where they are, (which was usually one of the wings) and end up in the middle of the court where they would then receive the ball, creating a channel where the ball would run straight down the middle of the court. Admittedly, this needs speed and agility from all players involved, and may be picked up on by the opposition, but it is a good starting point to creating your own similar tactics! Enjoy

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement