<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Unchecked fingernails

October 15 2004 at 1:18 PM
No score for this post
Jen  (no login)

Hiya,

Can I ask if anyone has ever been scratched by another player during a game before? The rules governing fingernail length in netball are ambigious to say the least - I play wing attack and the girl marking me last night had manicured nails extending 1/2 inch past her fingertips, and she scratched me quite a few times. When I complained to the umpire, she just told me to stop being a crybaby and get on with it!!!

What are everybody's experiences of this?

Jen

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kelly
(no login)

Re: Unchecked fingernails

No score for this post
October 15 2004, 2:14 PM 

Wow, I am sorry to hear about this - and would be interested to know in what league you were playing.

I run Social Sports, and we host social netball leagues all over London. We have a policy that players must have nails cut short - and that is that the nails can't extend past the tips of the pads of the finger when held up at 90 degrees.

Your umpire should have stoped the game and asked the player to leave the court.

I have many scars up my arms from lax umpires who didn't do their job properly.

AND, if you happened to be playing in a Social Sports league, please let me know and I'll ensure it never happens again.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jen
(no login)

No score for this post
October 15 2004, 3:25 PM 

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply - I actually play in a league in Merseyside, and the whole 'Footballers Wives' look of year-round tan and really long nails is very common here!

So are there official rules governing nail length then? I'd be interested to hear if there are.

The most worrying story I've heard was that one of my friends was playing as a goal shooter in the final of a local knockout competition and the goalkeeper on the opposite team again had long nails and kept scratching my friend to try and provoke a reaction when the play was in other areas of the court. I saw her the next day and her arms had numerous scratches on them - it's really worrying that things like that can go on.

Jen

Shaza
(no login)

No score for this post
October 16 2004, 10:06 AM 

Jen - your friend isn't alone in experiencing this sort of thing. I was playing in a game a couple of months back and the woman marking me kept tickling me to put me off whenever the umpire wasn't looking. In the end, I pushed her out of frustration, which the umpire saw and she told my coach to either substitute me or she would have to send me off for foul play.

It's a shame that this type of thing goes on, but there's not a lot you can do other than try to ignore it and concentrate on your game.

Kelly
(no login)

No score for this post
November 3 2004, 11:41 AM 

Hey Jen,

Wow, that is a real pity. I would take it up with your association that this is going on, because the rules on finger nail length are very clear.

Finger nails are not to extend over the tops of your fingers, and must be cut if they are prior to takeing the court.

We enforce this by having the players hold their hands up at the umpires eye level - the palms of the players hands facing us. Nails are ok if you can't see them over the top. If we can see nails over the top - we march them over to the table to cut them!

I hope this helps!

Take care
Kelly

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement