<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Umpiring query

October 23 2005 at 4:04 PM
No score for this post
Liz Mitcham  (Login LizMit)

Played a game this morning, umpire made a call for off-side that I thought was not right, can anyone shed more light please. Blue GS went round back of the post, off court, to secure better positioning, ball was thrown to her, she caught it mid air and landed in the circle, with no rule infringments. She was pulled up for being off side, which we did not think was correct.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Netballer
(no login)

Umpire knows best.

No score for this post
October 24 2005, 3:28 PM 

Liz,
I suspect the umpire was correct. Refer to rules 10.3 (player is out of court if when receiving the ball that player is touching the ground etc outside of court), rule 10.4 (...a player must re-enter court and no longer have contact with the ground out of Court). The blue GS had not made contact with the ground on Court before receiving the ball, therefore she was deemed to have received it outside Court.
My understanding is you must have had contact with the ground on court before receiving the ball but you cannot receive the ball while you were outside court although the intention is to land on Court.
I hope somebody will explain better but the decision of the umpire was correct.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Netballer
(no login)

Umpire knows best.

No score for this post
October 24 2005, 3:29 PM 

Liz,
I suspect the umpire was correct. Refer to rules 10.3 (player is out of court if when receiving the ball that player is touching the ground etc outside of court), rule 10.4 (...a player must re-enter court and no longer have contact with the ground out of Court). The blue GS had not made contact with the ground on Court before receiving the ball, therefore she was deemed to have received it outside Court.
My understanding is you must have had contact with the ground on court before receiving the ball but you cannot receive the ball while you were outside court although the intention is to land on Court.

Netballer
(no login)

Umpire knows best.

No score for this post
October 24 2005, 3:29 PM 

Liz,

Jane Howarth
(no login)

Umpiring query

No score for this post
January 3 2006, 12:27 PM 

I agree completely with you. Off side call should not have been made.

Judith
(no login)

Umpire was correct

No score for this post
March 23 2006, 4:04 PM 

Sorry guys, umpire was correct. You need to be already grounded to receive a pass on court. The fact that you were not previously grounded on court before you received the ball means you are deemed "off court".

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement