<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

umpiring right or wrong

March 7 2006 at 10:35 AM
No score for this post
mandijayne  (Login mandijayne)

Hi all i've just found this site and seen some interesting postings and thought this may be the place to get an answer to my query as follows: I played netball yesterday at some lovely courts with the in ground padded posts - i'm GA - at the end of the 3rd quarter the umpire from my end called my captain over and said can you tell your GA to stop swinging on the post - i was bemused to say the least because i didn't think I had been and the rest of my team didn't think I had been. Halfway during the 4th quarter the same umpire (now up the other end from me) stopped the game and went to speak to the umpire from my end and then walked to me on court and said - quite loudly - that I had been warned and that she had been watching me and that I had already swung on the posts 4 times and that was 4 fouls I should have been pulled for and not to do it again and then walked back up to her end. !!!!! At the end of the match when she was signing the card she again said to me about it and said I had been doing it for the whole match, so I said that I was not aware I had done it, it was not deliberate and if I had been doing it for the whole match perhaps she should have pulled me up?? I also said I felt that she was picking on me by watching me from the other end and stopping the game to tell me off when it was not her end to interfere - I also said it was not fair on the other umpire who was perfectly competent and now looked like she didn't know what she was doing ??? Any thoughts anyone - by the way it was a Premier League match !!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Yet to qualify umpire
(no login)

Wrong umpire!

No score for this post
March 8 2006, 2:58 PM 

You are entirely right. The umpire should control only that part of her court designated as her half (or words to that effect, will quote you chapter and verse when I have time). She could have brought your "swinging" to the other umpire 's attention during an interval, advising her to watch out for it. However, she should NEVER have stopped the match to tell you off when she had not penalised you previously AND especially when play was in the other umpire's half.
Blame the umpiring tests and standards I say. Did you win?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
mandijayne
(no login)

I Wish

No score for this post
March 8 2006, 11:56 PM 

Thank you for taking the time to reply - unfortunately early on in the match we were well behind, but we fought back and were neck and neck then had fallen a couple behind but after she stopped the match i felt about 2 inches tall and I think this really affected my game as I dont think I scored after that so it is probably my fault but we lost by 4 !!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement