<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Umpiring

May 10 2006 at 11:10 PM
Score 2.0 (1 person)
rusty  (Login zerep)

Question:

Umpiring a game the other night of which was a close match, there was a lot of tussling about between the GA/GD _ in the meantime the GS took the shot of which I disallowed and did a toss up between these two players as simultaneously contact, central timing went and both teams had drawn. So that was that so I had thought, to be approached by a spectator/coach/umpire of netball to tell me the rule of simultanously contact pulled should of not been penalised/as rules have now changed. Is this right?? As I have umpired for a while and have been told by different Umpires to pull up for this and now to be told the rule has changed. Does this all make sense!!!!!!

Anyway, I kept up with play for the full hour and to be approached like this was so off putting, especially as I never question other Umpires, and there are some real bad ones out there.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Umpiring GD & GA

Score 1.0 (1 person)
May 30 2006, 7:31 PM 

Without seeing what was happening between these two players it is hard to be objective.

If the play between them really was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other; then you can just allow play to continue without any interruption from you. But it must truly be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other; if its all a bit one sided then you should penalise the player concerned. The sort of thing to look for is where are the feet? Are they being placed (pyramid style) out to try and trip or catch her opponent? Is one player using her knees to try and contact the other player by (effectively) putting her off balance?

If you watch any high-level (national or international) matches - the one thing you don't see is umpires giving more than 1 or 2 toss-ups for the whole match. I can't be sure, but from memory in the Gold-Medal match (twixt NZ and Aus) at the Commonwealth Games, I don't recall a single toss-up the whole game. Not that there were not endless instances of players contacting each other; rather the umpires allowed play to continue as both players (equally) contested the ball or they penalised one of the two players for either contact (most of the time) or obstruction.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement