<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

poor umpires

August 2 2006 at 8:42 PM
No score for this post
emma  (Login buryc)

I have a few q's

1. Can an umpire send off a player?

2. If a player (GD) is defending a ball and is 3 feet away and the GA brings the ball into GD's hands surely that is GA causing contact??? Please help has there been a rule change?

3. In the shooting circle - GS has left the court and re-entered the other side of the post can the GK follow her off court? and can GK mark her off the court from where she wants to re-enter (not from where she left)

many thanks

oh 1 more thing

4. Is there anything you can do about poor umpires - last night 2 teams were nearly fighting because the umpire was not pulling anything and it was getting really rough. We have raised this issue with the league organisers but they wont do anything because there are not enough umpires (apparently she is C grade?????)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Umpiring Questions

No score for this post
August 4 2006, 9:34 PM 

1. Yes
2. Yes, if as you describe, the GD was holding a position at least 3 feet from the GAs landing foot and is holding her hands steady, then the GA has contacted the GD
3. Yes and No - Yes the GK can follow the GS around the back of of the post, but No she can't mark until both are back on court
4. Not directly, but you should report it to the relevant league committee

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Joseph Mazaza
(no login)

Starting Centre Pass

No score for this post
November 15 2006, 9:28 AM 

The Red Centre has statred the Centre Pass and the Red WA has caught the ball in the Goal Third without first of all enter the Centre Third. What infringement is this?

Jazzy
(no login)

Re: poor umpires

No score for this post
November 17 2006, 10:16 PM 

What are the offenses for sending a player off?

Gordon
(no login)

Starting Centre Pass

No score for this post
November 18 2006, 9:41 PM 

Its a free pass to the 'blue' team - The umpire calls "Ball not received"

Gordon
(no login)

Sending Off

No score for this post
November 18 2006, 9:45 PM 

Generally only for Rough or Dangerous play or for Misconduct (ie verbal abuse of other players or the umpire). Only in exception circumstances should you suspend (or order off completely) without a previous warning (by either umpire)

Jazzy
(no login)

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 5:04 PM 

Well i've had a warning before and that was cause the foul went the other way when I was tripped over so i threw the ball down the other end of the court. Never actually been sent off though thankfully. Would hate to imagine the bollocking i'd get off my teacher!

Deelancs
(no login)

Poor Umpires

No score for this post
December 16 2006, 6:01 PM 

How many players complain about poor umpires yet have never put a whistle in their mouths??

Just knowing the rules (i.e. as a player) is not sufficient to umpire a game. You have a totally different perspective on a game when you're umpiring. Remember, the umpire is LOOKING for infringements, where as the player is playing the game and can only see things from her own (biased!) point of view.

I don't doubt that (WE) all make mistakes as umpires. When I'm aware (or made aware!) of a mistake I've made, I will apologise to the team(s)at the end of a game and hopefully learn from that mistake. However, I have to make a split second decision, based on what I see. An umpire makes thousands of decisions in a game (remember, it's deciding something is RIGHT as well as WRONG!.

I encourage all my players (young AND old!) to complete the beginners umpiring course. Even if they've no intention of continuing to umpire it gives them a much better idea of what the umpire has to do.

In our league, any complaints about umpires are taken seriously. However, we actually have a B qualified umpire at the courts, monitoring the umpires (and players!!) which works very well in ensuring standards don't slip for very long.

Most of all, ACCEPT THE UMPIRE'S DECISION (as per the rules!) and enjoy your netball.

Gordon
(no login)

Poor Umpires

No score for this post
December 23 2006, 6:46 PM 

I don't supose for a moment anyone woul disagree with this last posting but there is an equal responsibility on each umpire to 'do their best' and not to umpire begrudgingly.

Nothing spoils a game when one umpire can't make the effort to get round the back of the goal post to check for obstruction or get back before blowing for a centre pass so as to see who jumps the whistle.

David
(Login PlanetSpratt)

Poor umpires

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 23 2007, 4:16 AM 

The technical details of an umpires performance are largely irrelevant. Mistakes and ommisions are a fact of life when officiating any game.

One reason there are so few umpires in netball (or any sport)is the level of conflict that arises around them. An article in New Zealand's leading paper "The Herald" today, stated that abuse of netball umpires in junior grades is so prevalent that netball has now got the worst behaved spectators of ANY sport in my country. I doubt the situation is much better in any country - especially as netball is such a subjective sport to umpire.

While we all recognise how frustrating a "poor" umpire can be I think the best answer would be if more of us actually picked up a whistle and gave it a go. As a non player who has coached for just four years I still find umpiring very difficult and intimidating. It has, however, caused me to be much less judgemental when the calls don't go the way I think they should.

In short - unless the umpire is actually cheating I think we should all take a big breath before criticising them. After all it is the same for both teams when an umpire is not that great.

Taylor
(Login Nuffy1978)

No score for this post
March 28 2007, 1:14 AM 

To begin with... I'd like to correct an answer to one of the responses to the original question.

In the example of the GS going off court and GK following, someone gave the answer that the GK cannot "mark" her opponent until both players have come back on court. This is incorrect.

The ruling states that a player may not defend from off court. Therefore, if the GK enters the court prior to the GS - or the GK doesn't leave the court at all, the GK may inhibit the GS from re-entering the court provided the GK remains on court through out. The only time that you must allow a player back on court is if they have taken a throw in or have gone to retrieve the ball.

Now... onto poor umpiring. As a B Badged umpire and State League Coach, I get extremely frustrated by many umpires who just dont seem to care.

90% of the time, bad umpiring decisions is caused by poor positioning - which is mainly caused by laziness. As a coach, I have no problem with generally bad decisions (or what I believe to be bad) provided they are consistent decisions and that the umpire was in the correct position at the time. There is nothing worse when at social level, for example, an umpire calls obstruction on the opposite side of the post while she is walking down the sideline...

I think "We have not enough umpires because of the abuse they get from players/spectators..." is a poor excuse. Maybe if a lot more of a current umpires, specifically our social umpires put in a bit more effort then there wouldn't be as much controversy.

As an umpire... nothing infuriates me more to umpire with a colleague who is there ONLY for the money and are lazy. The players deserve better!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement