<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Advice needed please re Junior Club

November 29 2006 at 9:42 PM
No score for this post
hampshiregirl  (no login)

Hi, I would like your advice please regarding a coaching issue at my daughter's junior club. She is 14 and has been playing in the development squad at the club for 4yrs now along with about 4 other friends. However, recently a whole team from out of the area moved to this club as they wanted to play more matches which has meant that my daughter and her friends have been practically edged out of the squad and are now only playing quarter or half matches for most of the time while these new girls get to play full matches. The girls are feeling very upset because they all really love their netball and had given up a lot of other things so they could commit themselves 100%. They are all very loyal and committed girls and feel that they are being treated very unfairly. I tend to agree as it seems that their loyalty and committment over the past 4 years now count for nothing. They have spoken to their coach but she basically said that if they dont like her decisions to join another club. Apart from two of the new girls, the others are of a similar standard to the original 4 girls. I am not familiar with the workings of a sports club and I would like to know whether this sort of thing is normal at a club or are the girls right to feel they are being treated badly. Any comments, especially from experienced coaches would be very welcome. Thank you.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gordon
(no login)

Junior Club & U14 Players

No score for this post
December 2 2006, 9:20 PM 

Not an easy one this. Starting at the end (a) is this fair? (NO) Does this happen frequently? (YES) Are my daughter and her friends entitled to be upset? (YES).

Where does it happen? It probably happens more in clubs which are run by coaches - there are few rules and no things like Constitutions - Does for example the club have an Annual Meeting? Compare this with clubs run (largely) by parents - the club is probably linked into CAPS (Club Action Planning System - with Bronze, Silver and Gold) and there is some for of clear progression based on ability.

This is not saying that one system is better then the other - I know several clubs run by coaches and the girls are all treated equitably and the club has a good name (and probably a waiting list).

What are your options? Without making it more difficult for your daughter - probably not a lot, but if there is some form of structure (such as an AGM) use it to ask general questions about selection of players - you might not get the change you want but at least you can put down a marker for other parents.

Good Luck.

G

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement