Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 30 vs. Ottawa Senators (W 5-1)

December 12 2008 at 7:15 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

SEMIN SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!! "Fresh from the bench," according to Kolbe. 1-0 Caps. Great to see Alex 2 back on the score sheet.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 9:38 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 30 vs. Ottawa Senators

December 12 2008, 7:22 PM 

That was on the Caps' first shot of the game, 3:55 into the first period. Second shift for the top line. Assists go to Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Caps killed a penalty early, and here they are, short handed again: Ovechkin to the box for interference on goalkeeper.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 7:24 PM 

Needless to say, Johnson is in goal, and he just made a good save.

Backup... goalies are Varlamov and Leonhardt.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 7:30 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 7:29 PM 

Killed, and now hooking call against Kuba. Caps on the PP.

Tons of things happen. Green is back, by the way.

Huge save by Johnson on a short-handed breakaway!

Other stuff, hard to follow.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 7:41 PM 

Morrisonn and Ruutu to the box for roughing, 4-on-4, and less than a minute later, Vermette called for interference. 4-on-3, then 5-on-4 for the Caps, but no goal, and we're back to even and full strength.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 7:45 PM 

End of the first period, 1-0 Caps.

I was wondering who this Leonhardt was, and why we had two backup goalies. Here's the explanation:

Web site producer dresses as backup Caps goalie

Friday, 12.12.2008 / 6:10 PM / News
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -A 6-foot-7 Web site producer for the Washington Capitals prepared to dress as the team's backup goalie for Friday night's game against the Ottawa Senators because of an injury to Jose Theodore.

Brett Leonhardt, who played Division III hockey in college, signed an amateur tryout contract before the game. If he were to actually get on the ice, he would tie the record for tallest goalie ever to play in an NHL game.

Theodore suffered a hip flexor injury during the Capitals' morning skate, and Simeon Varlamov was recalled from Hershey, the team's AHL affiliate, to back up starter Brent Johnson.

But Hershey happened to be on the road in San Antonio, and Varlamov's plane wasn't expected to land in the Washington area until close to the 7 p.m. game time.

So the Capitals received special dispensation from the league to dress three goaltenders. Varlamov was to take Leonhardt's spot on the bench upon arrival.

Leonhardt's chances of playing weren't exactly remote. Johnson has a sore hip from a fall during Wednesday night's victory over the Boston Bruins.

Leonhardt, 26, played two years for Oswego State in New York and two years for Neumann College in Pennsylvania. He has worked for the Capitals' Web site for about a year and has taken part in drills during practices when the team needed an extra goalie.

The Capitals also reassigned forward Oskar Osala and defenseman Sean Collins to Hershey.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 7:57 PM 

So, of course, the Caps have 21 players on the roster, but they'll only have 20 on the bench, since Varlamov is supposed to replace Leonhardt as soon as he gets there. I don't know if it happened already.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:10 PM 

Brooks Laich fires one in, and it's 2-0 Caps!!!

Assists to Bradley and Fedorov.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:24 PM 

There was a penalty to Alex 3 (Giroux), just killed. I hope Johnson will have his shutout, this time. He has made 20 saves so far. Auld only stopped 13 of the 15 shots he faced.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:27 PM 

In the meantime, the Bruins are thrashing the Thrashers: 4-1 at the first intermission. Pavelec gave up 3 goals on 4 shots; replaced with Hedberg, who gave up "only" 1 goal on the next 4 shots.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:32 PM 

Giroux to the box again, at the 17:20 mark in the second period. Not the best moment, although there's no good moment to be short-handed.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:34 PM 

OVECHKIN SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!!! 3-0 Caps!

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 8:36 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:41 PM 

Here's what happened: after Giroux's penalty, Heatley got called for slashing. 4-on-4 hockey, then Caps on the PP, and after only 5 seconds of this, Ovechkin scored. The Caps had been in the offensive zone for a while, though.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 8:45 PM 

Assists on Ovechkin's 16th goal of the season went to Poti and Green (his second of the night, both secondary, though).

Second intermission. I'm tired, but I may stay until the end.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 8:47 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:10 PM 

Johnson with a big save early in the third period.

Now, Caps on the PP. Ovechkin with a bad pass that gets intercepted, but he races back to deny Alfredsson a good opportunity.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:16 PM 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I got 1,293 e-mails from our fans, because of a couple of mistakes I made the other day, just after you came back, Roger: I had said that Helmer had registered his first NHL point, as if he was a kiddo, although he's a 36-year-old AHLer with some NHL experience (more than most of our players). I also said that the Caps had been solid at home. This is if you consider losing a game 5-3 at home being solid, which they did to the Panthers on December 2 (first regulation-time loss at home this season).

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:18 PM 

MIKE GREEN SCOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! With a one-timer on the PP. 4-0!!!

Kolbe: "How's that for a return from an injury? One goal and two assists for the Green machine!"

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:22 PM 

And Kelly, who was in the box for the goal, is headed back there.

And OVECHKIN SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! WOW!

Awesome PK, and awesome PP tonight.

Assists by Backstrom and Fedorov on both goals (which makes my job easier, hehe).

Fedorov has 3 secondary assists, Backstron 3 primary ones.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 9:43 PM

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:25 PM 

Varlamov was on the bench late 1st (#40), Leonhardt was # 80.

Very entertaining game, I left on the first Ovechkin goal, where I screamed "WHIP IT!" before he shot, and "WHIP IT GOOD!" before it hit net..... little Devo reference, there....

got home still 3-0 with 11:00 left in regulation, and now it's 5-0 with goals from green and Ovie (again). Johnson has been stellar tonight, Backstrom 3 assists, Fedorov and Green 3 points each, what a great night. Good to see 91 and 52 back on the ice..... and Semin is proving what I've thought for a long, long time- he may be BETTER than Ovechkin in many area of the game.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:25 PM 

Kelly also got a 10-minute misconduct penalty, by the way, so he's out of the game.

3:59 left. Only goal now is to preserve Johnson's shutout, but there's probably no better way to do that than attacking.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:28 PM 

Ott spoils the shutout, but now the Caps go on the PP for the remainder of regulation.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Geez, I jinxed it. Winchester fires one in (Winchester... got it? of course, you did), shooting Johnson's shutout down.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

And now, Caps on the PP with 1:47 left.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 12 2008, 9:32 PM 

End of game, another great win. With Semin and Green back, Caps will be hard to stop again. I guess Johnson starts tomorrow again, unless it's Leonhardt, or Mike Vogel. wink.gif

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 12, 2008 9:33 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 30 vs. Ottawa Senators (W 5-1)

December 12 2008, 9:42 PM 

Three stars of the game (it was probably hard to choose):

1. Johnson
2. Green
3. Fedorov

Yes, good to see old Sergei back too. When healthy, this team is terrific.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 30 vs. Ottawa Senators (W 5-1)

December 12 2008, 9:45 PM 

Our legions of readers probably will vote for Vogel. Sorry, I had an unexpected "update" reboot in here somewhere.

Yeah, Habs tomorrow, and the Caps aren't nearly the same team on the road, but we shall see.

Jophnson deserved the shutout (again) tonight,, but a few seconds of defensive fog prevented.

Keep Kozlov off that top line- he's a waste. Nylander, too.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin. Period.

"See" you tomorrow, Marc.

Current Topic - Game 30 vs. Ottawa Senators (W 5-1)  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)