Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 38 vs. New Jersey Devils (W 4-1)

December 26 2009 at 8:09 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Second period just started, and here I am. There were three goals in the first, all at even strength: Ovechkin, Bradley and Pelley, 2-1 Caps. Neuvirth and Brodeur in goal.

At 2:51, Caps short handed for the second time in this game, Schultz with the penalty.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 26, 2009 9:31 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 38 vs. New Jersey Devils

December 26 2009, 8:12 PM 

Killed, but Greene or Parise takes a good shot, and Neuvirth makes the save.

Seconds later, Devs score but it should be waived off... Confirmed by ref: 'No goal'.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 26, 2009 8:14 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:16 PM 

If Caps win this game, they take the lead of the league again, but with more games played than the Devils.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:19 PM 

And Backstrom scoooooooooooooooooooores!!!! 3-1 Caps!

7th goal in 6 games for Backstrom, on a good play with his top-line partners.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:26 PM 

Kolbe: 'Only player with more goals in December is [team mate?]...'

I believe he did not finish his sentence. In December, though:

Fleischmann: 7 goals
Backstrom, Ovechkin: 6

I see Marleau and Kovalchuk also have 6. Gaborik, Crosby and Semin have 5. Not sure about others. Do the Caps have 4 of the top 7 goal scorers of the month? That sounds good.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 26, 2009 9:36 PM

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:30 PM 

Ovechkin on the breakaway, one-on-one with Brodeur, who makes the save! And it ends up being an offensive-zone penalty against the Caps (Semin for hooking), short handed for the fourth time (no penalty against the Devils, so far).

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:32 PM 

Ovechkin is taken down, penalty called against the Devs, extra attacker for the Caps... A shot goes up and out of play. Caps will get their first power play of the game after the commercial break, LOL.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:38 PM 

And after exactly one minute of this, another penalty against the Devils! Caps will have a long 5-on-3 advantage. Boudreau calls for his timeout, because the top PP unit has been on the ice the whole time.

Here we are... Not much happening. Brodeur makes a stop and hangs on as the 2MA ends. Still some PP left.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 8:40 PM 

End of the second period, with 31 seconds left to the PP.

Caps are 15-0-2 when leading at the second intermission.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 9:11 PM 

I missed the first minutes of the third period, meaning I missed the Caps' fourth goal, by Green, 8 seconds after the end of the PP. Assists: Ovechkin and Backstrom, who are both 1-2-3 so far.

4-1 Caps.

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 9:29 PM 

Erskine all over the place, on one shift, thinks he's Ovechkin, gets a shot, and makes Kolbe laugh while going out: 'He can't get over the board, he's so tired.' LOL!

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 26 2009, 9:30 PM 

Final score. Excellent game by the Caps.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 38 vs. New Jersey Devils (W 4-1)

December 27 2009, 3:38 PM 

Yes indeed. And the game winning goal, by Bradley, was a treat- Bradley shoots from far out, and the Dman juuuust gets his stick in the way, deflecting it high. Broduer kind of "hops" while on his kneees trying to snatch the puck out of the air. He got juuuust high enough to touch it, slow it down, but not get a grip on it- it drops behind his back and skitters over the goal line. if he'd left it alone, it would have been high of the net and off the glass. Best goal of the year.

Nice to see them play an almost complete game- they need to continue through June, though.

lastly, and you may have seen this already, but Semin has signed a 1 year contract extension through the '10-'11 season. Reportedly for 5.5-6 for the year. Much debate on all the boards whether this is a good thing or not (but in my opinion, it's excellent- gives the Caps a chance to get Backstrom under contract long term, and then the next year see who/how much they have to cut to give Semin a long term one too).

(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 38 vs. New Jersey Devils (W 4-1)

December 28 2009, 5:21 PM 

I said it was Backstrom's 7th goal in 6 games, which was true, but then I gave him only 6 goals in December... and he actually has 9.

"Nicklas Backstrom's nine goals in December are second-most in the NHL behind Florida's Stephen Weiss with 10."

I could not check every player. wink.gif

I still believe the Caps have 4 of the top 8 or 10 goal scorers of the month, and they probably are the only team with more than one. That's some offensive talent (they easily lead the league in goals per game, at 3.58), and it's paired with a good defense (11th in the league with 2.66 goals against per game).

Caps have simply never been that good. Ever.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 28, 2009 5:25 PM

Current Topic - Game 38 vs. New Jersey Devils (W 4-1)  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)