This message has been edited by reallycrowesnest on Dec 8, 2016 12:08 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 25 vs. Boston Bruins

December 7 2016, 7:10 PM 

Oh, I thought it was at 7 pm. I'll probably skip this one too.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 7 2016, 8:19 PM 

Still up. OSHIE is back.

Video stream too slow to load, I check the game center at NHL.com, just as a goal is announced...

WILLIAMS, 23 seconds into the game!!! 1-0 Caps. From Kuznetsov and Ovechkin.

He must be feeling better, now, LOL. Better than 0.1" too late.

Ovechkin Kuznetsov Williams
Johansson Backstrom Oshie
Burakovsky Eller Vrana
Winnik Beagle Wilson

Alzner Carlson
Niskanen Orlov
Orpik Schmidt

Holtby
(Grubauer)

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 7 2016, 8:35 PM 

Not watching the game, I checked the score again:

2-0 Caps, WILLIAMS again, unassisted!!!

What the heck, hehe. I hope he'll complete the hat trick. He has plenty of time for this.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 7 2016, 8:45 PM 

Just watched the two goals. Great.

First goal:
https://www.nhl.com/video/t-283225536/c-47104703

Second goal:
https://www.nhl.com/video/t-283225536/c-47105303

(In case you get some advertising, scroll down to the bottom right of the page and click on "Skip these deals".)

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 7, 2016 8:48 PM

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 7 2016, 8:54 PM 

End of the first period, 2-0 Caps. I'm done. Go, Caps!

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 7, 2016 8:55 PM

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 8 2016, 12:07 AM 

Winnik, Backstrom in OT.

Win.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 25 vs. Boston Bruins (W 4-3 OT)

December 8 2016, 4:44 AM 

Tom Gulitti
‏@TomGulittiNHL
Shots are 17-0 Bruins since Caps scored to go up 3-0.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 8 2016, 5:00 AM 

Katie Brown ‏@katiebhockey
Caps locker room stayed closed for a few extra minutes postgame. Oshie said players called the meeting and "talked about stuff."

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 8 2016, 8:13 AM 

WASHINGTON -- The Capitals didn't exactly end their overtime victory with a raucous celebration.

No, instead Washington held a players-only meeting, still salty over blowing a three-goal lead.

Nicklas Backstrom scored 1:36 into overtime, helping the Capitals beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 to avert a disastrous defeat Wednesday night.

Justin Williams scored twice and Daniel Winnik also had a goal to put Washington ahead 3-0 about six minutes into the second period.

After Winnik's tally, Washington went over 26 minutes without a shot on goal. Boston dominated the final five minutes of the second period, when Dominic Moore and David Pastrnak beat goaltender Braden Holtby. Colin Miller's power-play score 8:19 into third tied it at 3.

Backstrom saved the day, but not the Capitals from feeling uneasy.

"In the second and third period they outplayed," Backstrom said. "We were lucky that we came up with two points. We're not satisfied at all. We're happy with the two points, but not the way we played."

The locker room remained closed for approximately 15 minutes after the win, Washington's second in a row after losing three straight.

"We had a little talking here," said T.J. Oshie, who returned to the lineup for the first time since injuring his shoulder on Nov. 18. "There are some things we've got to clean up. I think it's more of a mentality more than it is the systems or anything like that. ... Once we get a step up on someone, we have to get that mentality that we're going to finish them off."

Evgeny Kuznetsov had two assists for the Capitals and Alex Ovechkin got his first point since Nov. 26.

Boston arrived in Washington 4-0-1 over its last five games with three wins in a row, including a 4-3 overtime triumph against Florida on Monday night. The Bruins outshot Washington 34-20.

"Hell of an effort. We got a big point for us. To comeback from 3-0 against Washington, it's not that easy," Pastrnak said. "Too bad we couldn't get the two points, but in this case the one point is huge for us."

Backstrom patiently waited on the right side before firing the winner past goaltender Tuukka Rask, who entered second in the league with a 1.68 goals-against average. Rask allowed three goals in his previous outing, too.

Williams had two goals over the first 24 games this season, but he matched that total less than eight minutes in against the Bruins. He redirected Kuznetsov's lofted centering pass past Rask for a 1-0 lead just 23 seconds into the first period.

"To be honest it's nice to see the puck go in the net," Williams said. "I've been pressing and working hard. Hopefully this can springboard me to some more production."

Matt Niskanen left with an upper-body injury and did not return. With the Caps down a defenseman, Boston outshot Washington 11-2 in the second period.

"In the second period, we just sort of sat back," Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. "It's hard to protect leads in the league."

The Capitals' second goal also occurred in front of the net. Williams emerged from a scramble with a shot that slithered under Rask.

Game notes
With his 673rd career win, Trotz passed Mike Keenan (672) for eighth place on the NHL's career wins list. ... Williams' first goal was the fastest for Washington since 2012. ... Boston assigned F Noel Acciari to the Providence Bruins two days after the 24-year forward returned to practice. Acciari injured his right leg on Nov. 7. ... Holtby improved to 10-2 career against the Bruins. His first career win came in relief against Boston in November 2010. ... The three-game season series resumes Feb. 1 in Washington.

UP NEXT

Bruins: Host Colorado on Thursday night.

Capitals: Play at Buffalo on Friday night.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Dec 8, 2016 8:44 AM

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 8 2016, 8:43 AM 

They finally gave an assist to Kuznetsov on the second goal by Williams. In this case, they should have given a secondary assist to Ovechkin, who gave the puck to Kuznetsov.

Kuznetsov made a very weak pass to Williams, the puck was slightly touched by Miller, who failed to clear it, so it still reached Williams who swept it into the net.

Oh, wait, after watching this again, I understand, because it made no sense like that. Kuznetsov is entering traffic with the puck, and Chara hits Kuznetsov's stick with his stick, he lifts it up just as Kuznetsov is about to make his pass to Williams, so the puck is loose, Miller tries to clear it but Kuznetsov blocks Miller's stick with his stick, which converts the clearing attempt into a nice little pass for Williams.

Ovechkin was robbed of a point, there, in my opinion.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

December 8 2016, 8:53 AM 

Caps must be careful because they only have a wild card, right now, 3 points away from being out of the playoffs. It's true that they're also 2 points away from leading the Metropolitan division. Tight competition, here.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)