Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 33 at New York Islanders (L 3-4)

December 27 2016 at 6:26 PM

crowesnest  (Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

https://www.nhl.com/news/washington-capitals-new-york-islanders-game-preview/c-285062232

CAPITALS (20-8-4) at ISLANDERS (13-14-6)

7 p.m. ET; MSG+ 2, CSN-DC, NHL.TV

Capitals team scope

The Washington Capitals are rested after the Christmas break, which they needed considering

Tuesday marks the beginning of a stretch that has them playing 17 games in 31 days... (separation emphasis mine)

It starts with a familiar opponent in the New York Islanders, whom they are 8-1-3 against in their past 12 games and 5-0-2 in their past seven at New York. "I think it's just the mindset; you've got a game against a good team," coach Barry Trotz said. "We've had a good rivalry over the past few years, so I think just come ready to play. I think the three-day break was fantastic for everybody. I'm not a big fan of playing during the holidays, so I think it was perfect. Let's get back at it and go to work."

Islanders team scope

Goalie Jaroslav Halak will start for the Islanders despite back-to-back wins by Thomas Greiss, when he allowed three goals on 79 shots. "We just had a plan over the three games with our goalie coaches, and the fact that Jaro's played pretty well against Washington too," coach Jack Capuano said when asked about the change. "The goalies that are playing well are going to play. We had a little bit of a plan going in with our goalie coaches. As we move forward, the guy that is playing well is going to get an opportunity to continue to play." New York has a chance to get back to .500 with a win; it enters 12 points behind the Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers for a wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference. "Each game is crucial for us with the place we're in and the spot we've put ourselves in," captain John Tavares said. "Each game's crucial, whether it's these three or whatever comes after. We need to get results and get them more consistently."

Capitals projected lineup

Alex Ovechkin -- Evgeny Kuznetsov -- Justin Williams

Marcus Johansson -- Nicklas Backstrom -- T.J. Oshie

Andre Burakovsky -- Lars Eller -- Jakub Vrana

Brett Connolly -- Jay Beagle -- Tom Wilson

Karl Alzner -- John Carlson

Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Brooks Orpik -- Nate Schmidt

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Scratched: Daniel Winnik, Taylor Chorney

Injured: None

Islanders projected lineup

Anders Lee -- John Tavares -- Josh Bailey

Shane Prince -- Brock Nelson -- Anthony Beauvillier

Andrew Ladd -- Alan Quine -- Jason Chimera

Nikolay Kulemin -- Ryan Strome -- Cal Clutterbuck

Nick Leddy -- Travis Hamonic

Thomas Hickey -- Johnny Boychuk

Calvin de Haan -- Dennis Seidenberg

Jaroslav Halak

Thomas Greiss

Scratched: Jean-Francois Berube, Stephen Gionta

Injured: Adam Pelech (upper body), Casey Cizikas (upper body)

Status report

Schmidt is being re-inserted into the Capitals lineup after being scratched against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Dec. 23. … Cizikas skated for 10-15 minutes Tuesday but Capuano said he's not close to returning. Cizikas was injured Dec. 15. Pelech, who's been out since Nov. 28, is getting closer, according to Capuano.

Who's hot

Holtby is 5-1-2 in his past eight games, including a 23-save shutout Friday. Carlson scored two goals Friday and has three points in his past two games. Backstrom has a goal and three assists in his past four. … Strome has three goals in his past five games and Beauvillier has two in his past three.

I'll stick for the 1st, see if our usual link works.

This message has been edited by reallycrowesnest on Dec 28, 2016 2:52 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 33 at New York Islanders

December 27 2016, 7:09 PM 

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 27 2016, 7:23 PM 

Oshie an early steal and in alone, but Halak makes the save... flurry in front of Holtby at 15:39 left 1st...

now it's the Caps with the flurry, but Halak saves again... Isles have 12 attempts with 4 SOGs so far...

and Kulemin with a power move past Orlov, and Clutterbuck buries the rebound.

1-0 Isles.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 27 2016, 7:33 PM 

Just as I hit post above (at Bumper's), the Isles guy says "Caps look like they've been away 10 days..."

off Williams' knee... gonna be reviewed...

good goal!

1-1

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 27 2016, 7:36 PM 

Caps to the PP... couple of shots, but killed...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

December 27 2016, 7:46 PM 

Now Halak a save, and a small scrum ensues... stretch pass gets the Isles in, Holtby big save... under 1:00...

1-1, end 1st.

I need sleep... ciao, babies.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)