Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 38 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (W 5-0)

January 5 2017 at 4:50 PM

crowesnest  (Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

http://www.vipbox.bz/ice-hockey/435194/1/toronto-maple-leafs-vs-washington-capitals-live-stream-online.html

BLUE JACKETS (27-5-4) at CAPITALS (23-9-5)

7 p.m. ET; FS-O, CSN-DC, NHL.TV

Blue Jackets team scope

The Columbus Blue Jackets are one win from their 17th consecutive victory, which would tie the longest winning streak in NHL history, set by the Pittsburgh Penguins from March 9 to April 10, 1993. Columbus, which holds the League's best record and goal differential (plus-52), hasn't lost since a 2-1 shootout defeat at the Florida Panthers on Nov. 26, and hasn't lost in regulation since a 2-0 defeat at the Calgary Flames on Nov. 23. The Blue Jackets have won eight straight on the road and have outscored the opposition 62-27 during their winning streak. "It's a tough rink to play in, it always is," coach John Tortorella told the Columbus Dispatch on Wednesday of playing at Verizon Center. "I'm sure there is going to be talk because it's very well broadcast where we are right now. That's a really good team." Goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to start and play in his 300th NHL game. He has won 14 straight games, the second-longest winning streak by a goaltender in NHL history. Gilles Gilbert of the Boston Bruins won 17 consecutive games in 1975-76.

Capitals team scope

The Washington Capitals have won their past three games, are 10-2-2 in their past 14 games and are 14-5-1 at home this season. The Capitals have been keeping track of Columbus' streak and hope they are the ones who can end it. Washington was keeping tabs during the Blue Jackets' 3-1 win against the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday, following their 6-5 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs. "If anyone says they weren't [paying attention], they're lying," defenseman Brooks Orpik told the Washington Post, "because we had it on in the changing room." Coach Barry Trotz isn't expecting to have to give the Capitals a pep talk before the game Thursday. "I think when guys recognize the games are a certain level of competition or whatever, they respond," Trotz said after Washington's optional morning skate. "There's not a lot of motivation that is needed. But I think they recognize Columbus is obviously the class of the league right now. So they're coming into our building and we'll give them a good match." Goaltender Braden Holtby is expected to start. Captain Alex Ovechkin needs one goal for the 544th of his NHL career, which would tie Hall of Famer Maurice Richard for 29th place on the all-time list.

Blue Jackets projected lineup

Brandon Saad -- Alexander Wennberg -- Nick Foligno

Boone Jenner -- Brandon Dubinsky -- Cam Atkinson

Matt Calvert -- William Karlsson -- Josh Anderson

Scott Hartnell -- Lukas Sedlak -- Sam Gagner

Zach Werenski -- Seth Jones

Jack Johnson -- David Savard

Markus Nutivaara -- Ryan Murray

Sergei Bobrovsky

Curtis McElhinney

Scratched: Scott Harrington, Dalton Prout, Markus Hannikainen

Injured: David Clarkson (lower body)

Capitals projected lineup

Alex Ovechkin -- Nicklas Backstrom -- T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson -- Evgeny Kuznetsov -- Justin Williams

Andre Burakovsky -- Lars Eller -- Brett Connolly

Daniel Winnik -- Jay Beagle -- Tom Wilson

Karl Alzner -- John Carlson

Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Brooks Orpik -- Nate Schmidt

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Scratched: Taylor Chorney

Injured: none

Status report

Schmidt will replace Chorney in the Capitals lineup after he was a healthy scratch for the past two games. … The Blue Jackets did not hold a morning skate.

Who's hot

Atkinson has three goals in his past two games, and has 17 points (10 goals, seven assists) in his past 13 games. … Foligno has 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in a six-game point streak. … Wennberg has eight points (two goals, six assists) in a six-game point streak and has 12 points (two goals, 10 assists) in his past 10 games. … Saad has eight points (three goals, five assists) in a six-game point streak. … Jones has four points (two goals, two assists) in a four-game point streak. … Williams has six points (two goals, four assists) in a three-game point streak and has 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in his past 14 games. … Ovechkin has six points (four goals, two assists) in his past six games. … Oshie has four points (two goals, two assists) in a three-game point streak.

This message has been edited by reallycrowesnest on Jan 5, 2017 9:40 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 38 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

January 5 2017, 5:27 PM 

Interesting side note- new housemate is an equipment manager at Kettler... was showing me Holtby's stick that was used in the Winter Classic, told me if I need tickets let him know...

we shall see. wink.gif

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:09 PM 

This game really should show us what the Caps are made of this season- playoff atmosphere. Ovie,Kuz and Holtby need big games, and the BJs are just fast, fast, fast...

game on.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:17 PM 

Caps' 4th line working hard... Winnik!

1-0

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:21 PM 

Now Kuz with an offensive zone hold, to the box...

all Columbus in the zone, :04 left PP and Holtby covers... ES and Holtby gloves- good kill.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:30 PM 

Caps get a rush going, Col gets a better one, but Holtby big save... SOGs are 7-5 CBJ...

Kuz, to Johansson... off Carlson's skate!!

2-0

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:36 PM 

7:47 left 1st, Holtby gloves and a TV timeout... Kuz had a great pass on that goal...

first time this SEASON CBJ down by 2, according to Laughlin... 5:42 left, and a timeout.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:45 PM 

1:48 left... I may have to stick for at least another Caps goal, if not the whole 2nd...

2-0 Caps, end 1st. Good period.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 7:53 PM 

Alan May says not so good, so I defer to the experts- he's riding Kuz for not shooting in at least 3 instances, he's lauding Holtby for "standing on his head" (true), he's saying first 10:00 was good but the last 10:oo was pretty dismal.

Let's see...

SOGs 11-6 CBJs

blocks 5-2 CBJs

giveaways 4-3 Caps

hits 8-7 CBJs

May AGAIN riding Kuz and Wilson for passing on shots... Caps had a slight faceoff edge.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 8:23 PM 

Talking to friends via phone through the 2nd, 12:50 left...

Schmidt!!! 3-0!!! Ovechkin (996 points) and Backstrom (499 assists) the helpers!

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 8:25 PM 

Johansson almost... Caps to the PP 8:25 left 2nd...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 8:39 PM 

1:40 in the zone, but killed...

6:10 left 2nd... 5:19, icing Caps... Caps with 3 or more this season, 20-1 to this point.. Eller two good chances, CBJ can't clear and turn it over... Bura!!!!

4-0!!!! Under review for offside...

good goal!!!!

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 8:46 PM 

Earlier, I think it was Laughlin who noted 6 guys in this game weren't BORN when the Pens set the win record in 1993... that's a pretty freakin' awesome stat...

Caps to the PP, :10.2 left 2nd...

4-0 end 2nd. Awesome game. Statement game.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 8:50 PM 

So... do I dast stay up for the rest of a "gimme" game?

Indeed I dast.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 9:11 PM 

3rd on... still PP time... killed, but good play by the Caps...

16:47 left reg, icing CBJs... Williams!!!!!

5-0

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 9:34 PM 

9:01 left reg... Orpik hooks, cheao says Laocker, but a good hook in my opinion...

ugh- 2MA for 1:06... back to 5 on 4, and Holtby cover...

Caps a 2 0n 1 SH break, Wilson tripped, it's 4 on 4... Caps with 1:41 PP... now Oshie to the box for a slash, :55 of 4 on 4...

CBJ PP... and killed... Holtby glove at 2:09 left reg.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

January 5 2017, 9:40 PM 

2:02, Holtby glove save, his 29th tonight...

:59.6, Caps to the PP...

final!!!!! 5-0!!!!!

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 38 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (W 5-0)

January 6 2017, 4:44 AM 

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Tortorella walks to podium, says: "Shit, huh?"

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)