Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 73 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (W 2-1 SO)

March 23 2017 at 2:44 PM

crowesnest  (Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

https://dumpnchase.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/2017/03/23/skate-shavings-news-and-notes-from-caps-morning-skate

https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-washington-capitals-game-previeww/c-288009572

Preview: Blue Jackets at Capitals
Columbus could take over first place in Metropolitan Division, Eastern Conference with regulation or overtime win
by Katie Brown / NHL.com Correspondent
8 minutes ago

BLUE JACKETS (47-19-6) at CAPITALS (47-17-8)

7 p.m. ET; FS-O, CSN-DC, NHL.TV

Blue Jackets team scope

The Columbus Blue Jackets would move into a first-place tie with the Washington Capitals with a regulation or overtime win and a regulation loss by the Pittsburgh Penguins, who play at the Ottawa Senators on Thursday. Columbus is two points behind the Washington Capitals and one behind Pittsburgh in the Metropolitan Division and Eastern Conference. The Blue Jackets play the second of a back to back after a 5-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday. "The Leafs got to a level faster than us and that can't be the case," captain Nick Foligno told the Columbus Dispatch. "We're a team that needs to play at a high level all the time. That's what's great about this game is we have a chance in Washington to get back on track, and we've done a good job of that all season." Goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky will start. Bobrovsky is 7-0-0 with eight goals allowed and three shutouts in his past seven starts, and first in the NHL with 39 wins, a 2.04 goals-against average and .931 save percentage. Columbus is 4-1-0 in its past five games and 12-4-1 in its past 17.

Capitals team scope

The Capitals will increase their lead on the Blue Jackets to four points with a win and earn the tiebreaker advantage in their season series with a regulation victory. Washington is 3-1-0 in its past four games after a four-game losing streak. "Obviously it's very important for us to be mentally ready for playoffs," forward Alex Ovechkin said. "We just have to send a message and play our style of game. Right now, it's important that you have to get home-ice advantage. I think in the playoffs it's an important thing. It's been a fun year. We've obviously had a great year. Season's gonna be over in 10 games. That's why we play hockey, to play in the playoffs and try to get the [Stanley] Cup." Ovechkin is two goals from tying Johnny Bucyk for 26th place on the NHL's goal scoring list (556). Goalie Braden Holtby will start. Washington's 29 home wins are tied with Pittsburgh for the League lead and one from tying its record for most in a season set in 1985-86 and 2009-10.

Blue Jackets projected lineup

Nick Foligno -- Alexander Wennberg -- Cam Atkinson

Brandon Saad -- Sam Gagner -- Scott Hartnell

Boone Jenner -- Brandon Dubinsky -- Josh Anderson

Lukas Sedlak -- William Karlsson -- Matt Calvert

Zach Werenski -- Seth Jones

Jack Johnson -- David Savard

Kyle Quincey -- Markus Nutivaara

Sergei Bobrovsky

Joonas Korpisalo

Scratched: Lauri Korpikoski, Scott Harrington

Injured: Ryan Murray (hand), Oliver Bjorkstrand (undisclosed)

Capitals projected lineup

Alex Ovechkin -- Nicklas Backstrom -- T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson -- Evgeny Kuznetsov -- Justin Williams

Brett Connolly -- Lars Eller -- Andre Burakovsky

Daniel Winnik -- Jay Beagle -- Tom Wilson

Karl Alzner -- John Carlson

Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Brooks Orpik -- Kevin Shattenkirk

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Scratched: Taylor Chorney, Nate Schmidt

Injured: None

Status report

Bjorkstrand is not with the Blue Jackets after taking a hard check from Maple Leafs defenseman Roman Polak on Wednesday.

Who's hot

Backstrom has 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in his past five games. … Ovechkin has seven points (two goals, five assists) in five games. … Werenski has eight points (two goals, six assists) in seven games. … Gagner has nine points (four goals, five assists) in his past 10 games.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Apr 2, 2017 8:56 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 72 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

March 23 2017, 7:09 PM 

http://www.vipbox.bz/ice-hockey/435194/1/toronto-maple-leafs-vs-washington-capitals-live-stream-online.html

Holtby and Bobrovsky- what a duel this should be...

game on! Playoff game!

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:43 PM 

Here I am. How is it going? Yes, great goalies tonight, no wonder it's 0-0.

I'll be able to watch when the second period starts.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:44 PM 

Good start, if a little slow paced... both teams... Beagle and somebody get into it a little, but Wilson and Anderson get the unsportsmanlikes- 4 on 4... back to ES, still a chess match kind of game- lots of stoppages, not a lot of great chances...

2:35 left 1st, TV timeout.

Caps up to 28 attempts already. Yikes.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:45 PM 

I was converting files. It's over, now, so I can watch the last few minutes of the first period, actually.

Commercial break, LOL.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:49 PM 

0-0 end 1st.

Very tight game, playoff caliber.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:50 PM 

Very good shift by the 4th-liners, there, especially Wilson, great decisions.

Then Winnik and Williams arrive, but Beagle can't go, he has to stay with them. Once the Caps recover the puck, they are trying to counter-attack, but there's a big hole left by Beagle who didn't manage to rush back the other way, hehe.

End of the first period, 0-0.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Mar 23, 2017 7:51 PM

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:54 PM 

I said "Winnik and Williams arrive" but it should have been Connolly on the left wing, so I guess Winnik was also forced to defend and only Wilson managed to go to the bench. That explains why they were not able to do anything on that opening for a counter-attack.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Mar 23, 2017 7:54 PM

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:56 PM 

"Backstrom has 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in his past five games." Not bad, hehehe.

Ovechkin needs a hat trick tonight, and Holtby a shut out.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:58 PM 

I've had the feed for 57:00 and 1 period is barely done... gonna be a long night. lol I work tomorrow, but only 2 days a week now so I'll be off until Tuesday by 3:30 tomorrow...

no sweat, I'll be here all evening. I have some George Dickel #12 in cherry juice to keep me occupied. happy.gif

Yeah, Bob is red hot- last 7 , he's got 3 shutouts and a 1.14 GAA. Holts needs to compete.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 7:58 PM 

Hehe, hopefully you'll be able to wake up tomorrow. happy.gif

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:05 PM 

Alarm already set for 2:45 (my usual)- up, 5 miles on the stationary bike (tomorrow will be 6, I slacked 1 this morning) by 3:30, 9 exercises for my back by 4:00, shower, a tea, a little internet, and out the door at 5:15. happy.gif

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:06 PM 

Bobrovsky may not be the ideal goalie for Ovechkin's long-awaited hat trick. He's leading the league in GAA, save percentage and wins. A good candidate for the next Vezina Trophy, but Holtby can get closer with a win tonight.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:07 PM 

Geezus, your schedule is insane. Since you're watching this game, you can skip the stationary bike. happy.gif

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:11 PM 

Johansson had a great chance on a spinorama.

I also saw the replay of Oshie's huge chance where he stick-handled a little too much.

Delayed penalty against the Blue Jackets... Caps on the PP.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:12 PM 

I hope Carlson is OK. That stick in the face looked really bad.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:12 PM 

And the feed is dead, now.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:14 PM 

Early PP Caps, Carlson catches a stick in the face... lost my feed, so this new one is the CBJ feed...

http://www.vipbox.bz/ice-hockey/424206/2/washington-capitals-vs-san-jose-sharks-live-stream-online.html

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:17 PM 

Live stats from a phone app: shots by Shattenkirk and Oshie, and at least one blocked and one missed by other Caps.

Killed, no goal.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 23 2017, 8:18 PM 

Ok, it appears I've finally lost my feed for good... up to you to keep me informed until I can find another.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)