Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Game 77 at Arizona Coyotes (L 3-6)

March 31 2017 at 6:41 PM

crowesnest  (Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

https://www.nhl.com/news/washington-capitals-arizona-coyotes-game-preview/c-288296756

Preview: Capitals at Coyotes
Washington can inch closer to division title; Arizona seeks to end four-game losing streak
by Jerry Brown / NHL.com Correspondent
4:43 PM Share

CAPITALS (51-17-8) AT COYOTES (27-41-9)

10 p.m. ET; FS-A, CSN-DC+, NHL.TV

Capitals team scope

The Washington Capitals look for their seventh straight win. They have a four-point lead over the Columbus Blue Jackets for first place in the Metropolitan Division, Eastern Conference and NHL standings. "I wouldn't say our game has been totally complete," coach Barry Trotz said after the morning skate. "For the most part this group has stayed focused on being consistent and it has a willingness to keep learning rather than ignoring things that come up in our game. We're open-minded about getting things fixed. We're trying to finish first in the Metro and get any advantage possible, but and team you get in the [Stanley Cup Playoffs] is going to be tough." Washington had two power-play goals in a 5-3 win at the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday and has scored 34 power-play goals in its past 37 games (34-for-110; 30.9 percent). The Capitals are 35-5-2 when they have scored at least once on the power play. Alex Ovechkin is tied with Nikita Kucherov of the Tampa Bay Lightning for first in the League with 17 power-play goals and needs one point to pass Alexander Mogilny (1,032 points) for second place among Russian-born players behind Sergei Fedorov (1,179). Ovechkin has 15 points (six goals, nine assists) in 13 career games against the Coyotes and is two goals behind Guy Lafleur (560) for 25th on the NHL's all-time list. Braden Holtby, who did not play against Colorado, will make his ninth start in the past 10 games. He is 6-0-1 and has allowed 15 goals in his past seven starts.

Coyotes team scope

Captain Shane Doan will return after missing seven games because of a groin injury. "As a player, you have to trust the opinions of the coaches and trainers and I appreciate the way they looked after me," Doan said. "I'm excited about the opportunity to play again. Five games [remaining] makes it tough. You wish you had more. You wish you could start the whole thing over and have a re-do … but you can't so you work with five games." After playing in two games to begin his NHL career, rookie Clayton Keller will be a healthy scratch. Keller got his first point, an assist, in a 3-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Wednesday. Arizona has lost four straight games and is 1-6-1 in its past eight. The Coyotes have scored one goal or fewer in six of their past seven games (2.27 per game this season). Goalie Mike Smith left practice Thursday with an illness but will back up Louis Domingue, who will make his second straight start. Domingue has won four of his past five starts and made 40 saves against St. Louis. "We gave up quite a few chances and he was pretty solid," coach Dave Tippett said. "He needed a stretch like that just to give himself some confidence and finish the year off right."

Capitals projected lineup

Alex Ovechkin -- Nicklas Backstrom -- T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson -- Evgeny Kuznetsov -- Justin Williams

Brett Connolly -- Lars Eller -- Andre Burakovsky

Daniel Winnik -- Jay Beagle -- Tom Wilson

Karl Alzner -- John Carlson

Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Brooks Orpik -- Kevin Shattenkirk

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Scratched: Paul Carey, Taylor Chorney, Nate Schmidt

Injured: None

Coyotes projected lineup

Brendan Perlini -- Christian Dvorak -- Radim Vrbata

Max Domi -- Alexander Burmistrov -- Anthony Duclair

Jordan Martinook -- Josh Jooris -- Tobias Rieder

Lawson Crouse -- Peter Holland -- Shane Doan

Oliver Ekman-Larsson -- Luke Schenn

Alex Goligoski -- Connor Murphy

Jakob Chychrun -- Anthony DeAngelo

Louis Domingue

Mike Smith

Scratched: Clayton Keller, Jamie McGinn, Zbynek Michalek, Teemu Pulkkinen

Injured: Kevin Connauton (upper body), Brad Richardson (leg)

Status report

Doan will play on the fourth line with Holland and Crouse. ... Perlini will move up to the first line with Dvorak and Vrbata with Keller a scratch. ... McGinn (personal) will not play. ... The Coyotes sent forward Christian Fischer to Tucson of the American Hockey League on Friday.

Who's hot

Backstrom has 15 points (one goal, 14 assists) in the past nine games. ... Johansson has eight points (one goal, seven assists) during a four-game point streak. ... Ovechkin has eight points (five goals, three assists) in his past six games. ... Oshie has nine points (six goals, three assists) in his past six games.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Apr 2, 2017 8:57 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 76 at Arizona Coyotes

March 31 2017, 8:41 PM 

I won't be able to follow this one, but I'll be here for the next one.

I've watched the summary of the previous game (after reading your thread). So they almost blew a 4-1 lead again. They gotta be careful about that. Once you have a lead you must keep fighting for the puck. If you don't, the opponent will create good chances. They are talented hockey players too. The Caps have more talent, but to prevail, they must work at least as hard as the other team.

Let's go, Caps!

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 8:47 PM 

You had guessed it wrong about Grubauer's start in the first pair of back-to-back games, by the way. wink.gif He played the second one. We'll see for the rest. happy.gif

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 9:40 PM 

Had a nice nap with strange dreams, so I should last the whole game tonight... I still think Grubauer gets 2 more games, just not sure which now.

Anonymous
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 10:23 PM 

Game on, took forever to find a link tonight...

http://www.vipbox.bz/hockey/453147/4/arizona-coyotes-vs-washington-capitals.html

13:00 left 1st, Yotes lead SOGs 7-4... now 10-4, and Dvorak scores to give Arizona the lead.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 10:26 PM 

Poor D by the Caps on that goal... and now it's 2-0. Just atrocious (and Holtby thought he got this one, but it trickles through and in.)

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 10:48 PM 

SOGs are 11-4 now... 2 goals in 1:39 for Arizona... early in the game (while I was finding a link) Backstrom got hit in the face by a Shattenkirk shot- from what I read at Bumper's, he didn't take kindly to it and let Shattenkirk know in no uncertain terms...

Williams fans on a WIDE OPEN NET, Alzner finds the puck, but Domingue gets it easily...

3-0. Disaster. Holtby gone...

3-0 Arizona, end 1st.

SOGs 15-10 Arizona, and they're winning every board battle. Worst period since at least the first of the year. By the way, I have the Coyote's feed, pretty nice.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 10:49 PM 

Thanks to Coldplay619 at Bumper's...

Tom Gulitti‏Verified account @TomGulittiNHL 1m1 minute ago
More
Caps have one win in Arizona (1-3-1) since 2005-06 (when Ovi scored that goal). Lost 3-0 there on April 2 of last season.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:09 PM 

2nd on, Caps to the PP at 18:42 left...

Backstrom!

3-1

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:26 PM 

SOGs now 18-15 Caps, our boys have started to wake...

3-2!! Good shift by the Caps, and some alert passing... 8:56 left 2nd. Winnik, from Wilson and Orlov.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:28 PM 

So Oshie trips a guy and the Yotes get the PP... I guess it's getting too close for the Caps... TV timeout.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:32 PM 

7:53 left 2nd... well, shit. Cap tries to clear, Orlov can't get it, and Dvorak gets a breakaway.

4-2...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:42 PM 

Missed when or why, but Holtby is back in net... ok, they just said came back starting the 2nd... now the Caps hook a guy and Holtby BIG save or it would have been 5-2... PK again...

and it's 5-2 now.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

March 31 2017, 11:51 PM 

5-2 end 2nd. Doesn't look good...

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Burmistrov has three goals all season. Two have come tonight.

6 SOGs in the 2nd for AZ, and 2 of those got in. Yikes.

Having a Clash moment- should I stay, or should I go? Like watching the train wreck...

and the decision is...

go.

If they come back, great. If not, I'll get some much needed sleep.

Ciao, babies.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: Game 76 at Arizona Coyotes (L 3-6)

April 1 2017, 6:40 AM 

Me: "3-0 Arizona, end 1st.

SOGs 15-10 Arizona, and they're winning every board battle. Worst period since at least the first of the year. By the way, I have the Coyote's feed, pretty nice."

Isabelle Khurshudyan‏ @ikhurshudyan
Trotz said the first period was the worst the team has played since he became coach in ... 2014.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

April 1 2017, 11:00 AM 

They can't afford to sleep for entire periods like this. The rest of the game was 3-3.

Pens got a shootout win, I believe.

Caps must beat the Blue Jackets tomorrow.

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

April 1 2017, 9:26 PM 

I know it's late, but I've just checked the stats of the game, after watching the summary...

Ovechkin hit the post on a very hard shot. After that terrible first period, Caps made a huge effort, actually. They were unlucky, and also I believe Holtby gave up a couple of bad ones, possibly because he faced very few shots in the last two periods.

Shots were 18-15 Coyotes in the first, and 37-10 Caps in the next two!!!

Total shots: 48-25 Caps. Attempts: 80-41!

They saw even all that was not enough, so next time they'll try to avoid digging a huge hole in the first period, hopefully.

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Apr 1, 2017 9:27 PM

Marc
(Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

April 1 2017, 9:36 PM 

Another interesting stat: Grubauer spent 6:48 on the ice but did not have to face any shot. So there was a great reaction by the Caps after the first three goals. I think Grubauer should have stayed.

Caps had 5 shots during Grubauer's time, so the shots were 18-10 Coyotes in the first 13:12, and 42-10 Caps in the rest of the game.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)