Caps Web Forum

CWF

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ECSF Game 1 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (L 2-3)

April 27 2017 at 6:09 PM

Marc  (Login marc_mehdi)
Forum Moderator

I have an appointment in the morning. I'll set an alarm to follow the third period, but I may not be able to wake up, so have a good game, Roger, and let's go, Caps!

This message has been edited by marc_mehdi on Apr 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

Re: ECSF Game 1 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

April 27 2017, 6:57 PM 

You got it!

Let's go, Caps!

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-washington-capitals-game-1-preview/c-289126974

5 Keys: Penguins at Capitals, Game 1
Pittsburgh rookie Jake Guentzel, Washington goalie Braden Holtby among factors in series opener
by Katie Brown / NHL.com Correspondent
3:44 PM

PENGUINS at CAPITALS

7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports 2

Eastern Conference Second Round Game 1

ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins begin their Eastern Conference Second Round series on Thursday.

The Capitals eliminated the Toronto Maple Leafs from the Stanley Cup Playoffs in six games and the Penguins won their first-round series against the Columbus Blue Jackets in five games.

The Capitals and Penguins are playing one another in the second round for the second consecutive year; Pittsburgh eliminated Washington in six games en route to winning the Stanley Cup in 2016.

In their last regular-season game, the Penguins defeated the Capitals 8-7 in overtime.

Here are 5 keys for Game 1:

1. Jake Guentzel

Guentzel leads the NHL in playoff goals with five, including a hat trick in Game 3 against the Blue Jackets. He became the first NHL rookie to score five goals in his first four playoff games since Maurice Richard with the Montreal Canadiens in 1944, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He has scored at least one goal in three of four playoff games and in eight of his past nine games since March 31.

"He's got skill, obviously as a lot of their guys do," Capitals goalie Braden Holtby said. "It's been a trend for years that if you're playing with Sid, you're usually going to get some pretty good looks. We know that. We know the heartbeat of that line is Sid and kind of shutting that down and breaking it down that way. In terms of players having success or not, it doesn't make much difference to me."

2. Missing Kris Letang

Letang, when healthy, is a vital part of the Penguins defense, but is recovering from neck surgery. He played an average of 28:53 per game during Pittsburgh's run to the Cup.

The Penguins will have to rely on their depth to get the job done during Letang's absence.

"The minutes he plays, it's a huge loss for us, but we've done a great job stepping up," defenseman Olli Maatta said. "Not one guy. It's all six guys. We have a good D group and don't worry about matchups too much. We have six, seven guys on D who can play those 20 minutes a game. It doesn't matter."

3. Special teams

The Penguins (33.3 percent, 5-for-15) and Capitals (29.4 percent, 5-for-17) each had success on the power play in the first round, continuing a trend established in the regular season, when they were tied for the League's third-best power play (23.1 percent).

4. Start quickly

The Capitals have scored first in three of their six playoff games and lead the League with eight first-period goals. They were 46-7-5 when scoring first during the regular season and 23-6 in the postseason since 2009-10.

5. Braden Holtby

Holtby allowed two goals on 63 shots in the final two games against the Maple Leafs (.968 save percentage) after giving up 14 on 150 shots (.907 save percentage) in the first four.

"For goalies, it's about reading plays and being able to connect the dots," Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. "When things are out of the ordinary, then it plays with you a little bit. He had to work through that mentally. That happens during the year a few times and he always gets on track. That's really good for him."

Penguins projected lineup

Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Bryan Rust -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Scott Wilson -- Nick Bonino -- Patric Hornqvist

Chris Kunitz -- Matt Cullen -- Tom Kuhnhackl

Brian Dumoulin -- Ron Hainsey

Olli Maatta -- Trevor Daley

Ian Cole -- Justin Schultz

Marc-Andre Fleury

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Mark Streit, Carter Rowney, Chad Ruhwedel

Injured: Matt Murray (lower body), Kris Letang (upper body), Carl Hagelin (lower body)

Capitals projected lineup

Alex Ovechkin -- Nicklas Backstrom -- T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson -- Evgeny Kuznetsov -- Justin Williams

Andre Burakovsky -- Lars Eller -- Tom Wilson

Daniel Winnik -- Jay Beagle -- Brett Connolly

Nate Schmidt -- John Carlson

Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Brooks Orpik -- Kevin Shattenkirk

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Scratched: Paul Carey, Taylor Chorney, Chandler Stephenson

Injured: Karl Alzner (upper body)

Status report

Alzner has not been medically cleared and will not play in Game 1. … Hagelin attended the Penguins optional morning skate but is not likely to play. … Kunitz is expected to return to the lineup after missing the last five games of the regular season and all five games of the first round.

Who's hot

Malkin has 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in five playoff games. … Kessel has eight points (two goals, six assists. … Crosby has seven points (two goals, five assists) in his past five games. … Guentzel has six points (five goals, one assist) in five games. …Oshie has seven points in six games (three goals, four assists) in six games. …Williams has six points (three goals, three assists) in his past six games. … Backstrom has six points (two goals, four assists) in six games. … Johansson has five points (two goals, three assists). …Ovechkin has three goals in his past six games.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 7:49 PM 

http://www.vipbox.bz/ice-hockey/474201/1/stanley-cup-playoffs:-washington-capitals-vs-pittsburgh-penguins.html

Stream is messing up already, just to the anthem... I'm not going to post much.

Game on!

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 7:52 PM 

Ovie in the box for interference, 3:38 gone...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 7:54 PM 

And killed. Good job.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 7:57 PM 

Was a BS call, great job... Holtby covers at 13:48 left, the face washes and scrums start...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 8:24 PM 

I'm now watching this feed, no sound...

http://www.vipbox.bz/ice-hockey/474201/5/watch-stanley-cup-playoffs:-washington-capitals-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-online.html

9:41 left 1st, Caps offside...

Caps now 10:00 without a SOG...

0-0, end 1st. Caps were better the last 10:00 than the first 10:00.

SOGs 6-4 Caps
Blocks 4-2 Pens
Hits 13-8 Caps
Takes 3-1 Caps
Gives 1-2 Pens
Faceoffs 59% Caps (10 of 17)

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 8:40 PM 

Caps had one real good scoring chance, but not much happened of note that period... 8:41 PM here...

2nd on.

This is a long game for me, and I work in the morning also- I'll see how things stand end 2nd and make a decision then...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 8:41 PM 

And Crosby scores :12 into the 2nd.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 8:42 PM 

And at 1:04 gone, he does it again.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 9:20 PM 

3:01 left 2nd... if they can get 1 back, I'll try to stay... some very hard hits both ways, now...

Ovechkin!

:18.9 left 2nd, sctums and not-quite-fights behind Fleury... matching roughing calls, it's 4 on 4...

:01.5, Caps pull Holtby for a faceoff, but nothing happens...

2-1 Pens, end 2nd.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 9:23 PM 

SOGs 19-15 Caps
Hits 25-12 Caps
Blocks 19-6 Pens
Takes 7-4 Pens
Gives 5-6 Pens
Faceoffs 64% Pens (big swing- now 23 of 36)

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 9:37 PM 

I'll try to stay for the 3rd, but no OT for me... maybe Marc will be here to thrill our millions of readers with his hockey acumen...

3rd on... still 4 on 4 for 1:41...

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 9:54 PM 

Holtby save with :06 left in the 4 on 4... Holtby save, ES at 18:12 left reg... delay at 15:37 left, linesman got a sliced thumb and had to get taped on the sideline...

12:20 left... great shift by the Caps...

Kuz!!

2-2!!

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 9:59 PM 

8:59 left reg, Fleury has to cover to give the Pens and the TV crew a break.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 10:04 PM 

:20 of fury, and Fleury covers again... another great shift, but ar 7:24 Bonino gets in on a little break past Orpik, and it's

3-2 Pens.

crowesnest
(Login reallycrowesnest)
Forum Moderator

April 27 2017, 10:19 PM 

And now another penalty, boarding, on the Caps... killed... running out of time, 4:19 left reg...

Marc, watch carefully from 3:15 to 2:48... furious play, all around Fleury, from 2:00 to :26.7 (I think it was EN for Caps, too) ... icing Pens with :15.3... icing Pens with :00.8...

3-2 Pens final.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

The Peerless Prognosticator - Ovechkin Videos - 2008 Capitals Highlights

Code of Conduct - Edit your profile - Options - Upload your personal photo - E-mail me

Caps on Film - Washington Hockey - Caps' Corner - CRC - Pirates Board (archive)