PNGscape Komuniti Board

Part of the PNGscape Komuniti.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board  

An Excellent Letter in Today's PC

February 21 2008 at 11:20 AM
No score for this post
wantok 

Office of the PM has been brought into disrepute

Post-Courier’s front page story of February 15 titled “Somare sails in deep sea” immediately raises serious issues including possibilities of gross abuse of power, derailing of due process and failing to abide by and adhere to accepted procedures and practices by the prime minister.
All these amount to bringing the office of the Prime Minister into disrepute and more importantly de-meaning the office belonging to the six million Papua New Guineans.
As usual and as if nothing was wrong, the PM stood up on the floor of Parliament to deny that he had shares in the Pacific Registry of Ships Limited (PRS).
To the PM’s embarrassment, the Post-Courier’s company search with the Investment Promotion Authority (IPA) revealed that Michael Somare is in fact a shareholder “in trust for the Independent State of Papua New Guinea”.
Other shareholders of PRS are Malaysians Lu Chiu Ming and Wong Kai, Australian Len Michaels and PNG national Pius Pundi.
The PM can swallow his pride and as he often tells his rivals in Tok Pisin language, “Sem bilong em na daunim spet”. Of course Betha Somare will be quick to jump to her father prime minister’s defence to say the PM holds shares in trust for the state.
Ms Somare failed to tell the more than six million taxpayers PNG-wide that PRS is a private company and not a state-owned entity. She and her father have a national responsibility to tell among others:
l What National Executive Council decision enabled Michael Somare to hold shares on behalf of the state in a private company?
l What other laws empowered the PM to hold shares in a private company on behalf of the people?
l Why couldn’t the Finance Min-ister hold such shares on behalf of the people as is in other instances? And
l Has the PM declared his shareholding in PSR to the Ombudsman Commission?
Opposition Leader and Moresby North-East MP Sir Mekere Morauta did a fine job by first exposing this in a series of questions to the PM in Parliament on last year.
Sir Mekere asked the PM the questions regarding PRS’s contract with the National Maritime and Safety Authority (NMSA).
The PM wrote to the Transport Secretary Henry Parakei on April 19 2007 on the official Prime Minister’s letterhead directing him to “immediately get the board” of the NMSA to sanction and have a certain document signed.
This particular document was an agreement with Pacific Registry of Ships Limited to perform Statutory Vessel Certification, Ship Safety and Survey Services on behalf of NMSA.
Post-Courier did an excellent job to follow up by doing a company search and other research to provide more facts.
The matter is serious and must not stop here, but for relevant state law enforcing agencies to take action and fully investigate the PM for possible breaches of the Leadership Code.
All relevant state law enforcing agencies are duty bound to perform their constitutionally mandated du-ties for the good and wellbeing of the majority of PNG citizens.
PNG demands justice and if it means starting from the top, let it be!

– Peter Poke
NCD

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Re: An Excellent Letter in Today's PC

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 12:42 PM 

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:50 AM

Anonymous

Re: An Excellent Letter in Today's PC

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 12:48 PM 

The answer is a bold PNG'an, may be a lawyer or commussioner of police with relevant persons and prosecute those involved. That person will go down in the history books. Not PM. I wish I was a commissioner. I'd just get my trusted men, get all relevant details and arrest those inlvolved. And be ready to suffer the consequences. The children of this country would remember the no nonsense servant of this nation.

wantok

Can't Agree Anymore

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 1:12 PM 

Can't agree with you anymore, we need people with some balls to stand up for the sake of our nation and bring Somare to account for his actions !!

Anonymous

Re: Can't Agree Anymore

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 2:31 PM 

We need revolution. man! we get the balls, whatever that meant, but we needed a revolution....we do drastic things. Block off an Highway. All Public Servants stop work, by the way, they are all useless.

Westim taim long toktok, wokim samting stret.

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:51 AM

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 3:06 PM 

i read so many have postings towards the PM and i know for sure that something is going to happen. with so much hate for him someone is surely going to pull the trigger.........wait and see....
dont be surprised......its bound to happen....and he is asking for it.....he will get what he wants along with white roses......

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 21 2008, 3:50 PM 

We have talked, we have petitioned, we have protested, what else are we supposed to do that is legally permitted by law?
All that is left to do is what is illegal and so be it. If Francis Ona can remove the government of PNG from Bouganville for 10 years, what is so hard about removing one man from the government of PNG for eternity?
I trust that Papua New Guineans have the capacity to achieve this very simple task.

sniper

No score for this post
February 22 2008, 8:10 AM 

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:53 AM

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 22 2008, 7:32 PM 

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:54 AM

Anonymous

Re: Kllim Em yah!

No score for this post
February 22 2008, 7:36 PM 

wastim time he just laughs at you all... dont bother saying anything cause he is the way and the will... no one will shoot him and no one will get by him em win pinis you wastim maus wara blo yupela...

beat it talk about something more productive.... he will probably get the police or army tocome to your house na f ass blo you his in charge and thats the bottom line... sorry png

samatax

Let us not breed hatred in PNG

No score for this post
February 22 2008, 10:10 PM 

I used to admire M.Somare and J.Guise when I was little. Today I feel that the old man (Somare) has lived past his useby date. Nonetheless I salute his stamina and determination to beat all odds and remain the Prime Minister of our country. We continue to point to him for all our problems when the real issue is US - the people of PNG. Somare is an elected leader of our country and if we are not happy with him there is always the democratic proccess available for us to get rid of leaders that we think are not doing well for the country. You can have your university degrees,masters and PhD..but at the end of the day you will call Somare boss....because he will still recruit and fire whoever he wants.
The frustrations many of you express here have little to do with Somare or his family. You should talk to your people and the members that you elected into Parliament. That is where the real issue it. I heard them screaming for Somares head, but when it came to the formation of the government they went down on their knees and kissed his feet and begged him for a ministry or be part of his government.

I am not from Sepik, nor pro Somare, but I am not going to hide here and call him names just because I disagree with the way he is running the country.

If you can read and write and think Somare is not doing the right thing, go and contest and win so that you can join the opposition and let your voice be heard. Otherwise just shut up and not breed hatred and make PNG like KENYA.

May our ancestors watch over us!!!

samatax.

Anonymous

Re: Let us not breed hatred in PNG

No score for this post
February 23 2008, 2:46 AM 

'

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:57 AM

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 25 2008, 11:22 AM 

Keep admiring Somare, you blackwit!

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 25 2008, 8:20 PM 

'

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Mar 17, 2008 5:58 AM

Anonymous

No score for this post
February 26 2008, 1:23 PM 

Ol sepik save wokim wanem. They are bunch of low-life with no vertebrae. Look at their sepik backyard, it seems like coming out of the stoneage.

Certainly they are cheap nuggets in this country with the Grand Thief upstairs distributing the cookies.

Anonymous

.....stand up PNG

No score for this post
February 26 2008, 3:04 PM 

Congratulations are in order for the investigative work of Post Courier journalists and to Peter Poke who showed every boldness for his letter (Post Courier 20/02/2008) that records the story of our Prime Minister, Sir Michael Somare, who has now entangled himself in yet another position of compromise. The challenge is now up to constitutional establishments such as the Ombudsman Commission to demonstrate to us what they are worth. There are two issues which I like to bring to the public in this letter.

First is the utterly detestable place which Bertha Somare has assumed in PNGs politics since her father reinstalled himself as prime minister in the last 6 years. In every issue of utmost national interest, Bertha Somare, has relentlessly elevated herself with a self-given mandate of a duly elected MP in order to comment and assert the political and legal views of an elected government. I feel strongly that this must stop because this attitude sucks out every air of legitimacy there is in the little bag of democracy that we have left in the present regime of guided democracy! Can the Ombudsman Commission explain the legal arrangements under which Sir Michael was allowed to employ his own daughter as the media advisor to the prime minister? How can a media advisor dispense such an authority with a shameless and characteristic arrogance? Why must we allow a tyrannical oligarchic family to use the instruments of law and political coercion to install itself in the guise of democracy?

Secondly, Sir Michael resorts persistently to evasion and diversion in order to misguide or conceal his tracts of wheeling and dealing. His cabinet of political rhetoric contains many similar narratives which we can retrieve and assemble at convenience but the current story about his ‘deep sea fishing’ is a case in point which actually concretises the possibility that one could pick up a pen and calculate the size of a lie. Such a calculation does not require any form of sophisticated mathematical computation except perhaps an appreciation of the humour of scale and magnitude. Far from being convenient half-truths, evasions and diversions are calculated miscalculations programmed with an algorithm designed to conceal the truth of things. We all do this all too often and often as we do so, we assign a particular size and moral valency to legitimise our lies.

Lie flourishes in an elastic conceptual economy so that its magnitude expands and contracts depending upon the conditions and status of those who dispense it. Thus it follows that if a bigman, such as Sir Michael Somare lies, it is logically admissible that his lie must be proportionate to his status. Further more, if lie is as incestuous as a contagion that spreads its influence as an epidemic, then if such a big lie should fall down and conceal itself as a weightless truth, imagine what destruction this would have on the moral fibre of constitutional democracy? If a bigman such as the prime minister should mislead the citizens of this great country in a place whose size is no less than our national parliament, imagine what kind of future do we have if we cannot comprehend the size of a lie when it is told by a bigman as a convenient truth?

Anonymous

Re: .....stand up PNG

No score for this post
February 28 2008, 8:00 AM 

mate...thanks for that insight. I agree with you

Ramu Nickel

how do you get a job like that???

No score for this post
March 16 2008, 2:34 PM 

I'd like to know exactly what qualifications and experience Bertha Somare holds apart from being the PM's child for the position of Media Advisor.

Can anybody fill us in?

She may well be qualified for the position.

However, in any truly democratic and transparent government this arrangement would be viewed as nepotism and if the opposition, colleagues or the PM him/herself did not knock it on the head the ensuing press and public outrage certainly would.

The mind boggles at why papua new guineans accept the situation.

You teach others how to treat you and the png government has certainly treated its' citizens how they "expect" to be treated.

I am not saying papua new guineans deserve or even desire to be treated this way but if you want a different outcome you implement different methods - for example

don't vote the same basta*d back in or
protest/picket/write/email/visit your MP every month,week or day if you can

bai mu lusim klostu tasol lewa blo mi bai stap lo dispela graun na ol lain blo em

FBI

No score for this post
March 16 2008, 3:32 PM 

Firstly, hahaha ok, I know for a fact Most in Png don't have internet access

Secondly, it seems everyone who has access to this website hate Somare to death even suggesting to assassinate him.\

Thirdly, if a Foreigner observes the situation here, he'd end up with the conclusion that hmm so the people in PNG are obviously uneducated or think Somara has done a good job over the years and voted him back into power.
But the ones overseas(the one with internet access mostly compared to people who reside in png), are obviously educated/ don't think Somare is the right person for the job due to all this critics and political unrest.

Finally he'd say the people of PNG are confused, everyone hates him but he still gets back into power, maybe because he has stole enough money to buy his way back/ the people are just stupid.

Well people, if you want to stop Somare, create a powerful anti-corruption campaign. Obviously Somare has money and can buy his way to achieve whatever he wants.Haha just let Militarism take over and purge all the corrupted leaders.Adopt Hitler and Stalin's way of getting things done, fast, efficent and successful.

Anonymous

No score for this post
April 13 2008, 10:23 PM 

The devil who exploits PNG will not be stopped! It's IMPOSSIBLE as far as the Sepiks are concerned.

Current Topic - An Excellent Letter in Today's PC
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board