PNGscape Komuniti Board

Part of the PNGscape Komuniti.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board  

blogs or discussion forums are either a stimulant for political progreess in png?

February 7 2011 at 7:45 AM
No score for this post
bench 

This is a discussion forum but it's the blogs not the discussion forums that have been at the forefront of the revolution currently going on in egypt to get rid of their corrupt leader.
The png blogs are out there but my question is are they are effective? Are they organised like blogs in other countries and are they getting people politically involved and active?
actnowpng.com is the only blog i can think of that is connected to an NGO so are they more effective at activism than the other blogs?
What do you all think?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Illusion

Re: blogs or discussion forums are either a stimulant for political progreess in png?

No score for this post
February 7 2011, 11:18 AM 

I think here is the problem.Sites owned by people living in PNG or the owners live in Papua New Guinea are scared of getting sued.

-Peace-

drool

Re: blogs or discussion forums are either a stimulant for political progreess in png?

No score for this post
February 10 2011, 9:52 PM 

The actnow organisation & web site is based in Moresby, the people involved are well known, and they put out some pretty tough stuff. So much for your theory??

Illusion

No score for this post
February 11 2011, 5:40 AM 

Its just a theory but am pretty sure it is one of the reasons.Some people are scared of that.Thats the reason why many bloggers report on reports that is already there.

Wantok mentality in PNG is strong.If you are not my wantok who gives a damn.Politicans know that and use it well to their advantage.The old rule of divide and conquar

As a student leader in the 90s Ive seen first hand the tribal and regional divide among the people.Boycotting classes and going on protests required alot of work to make students forget of their cultural loyalty just to get the job done.Religious students are some on the biggest slackers.They get their guiter and blue gideons bible go sing halelujah in a run down two storey building expecting a miracle while the other half were hoping we had never boycotted classes at the first place.

There are many reasons scapers can think off.I just put the first one because no one responded .If you have some put it down.The reason my first post sounded like that is because just a few months ago Paraka lawyers or some so called big law guy in Papua New Guinea went after a few blogs.Personally I would careless about that threat if I own one of those blogs.

Ive been with pngscape for a while as a normal scaper and now a moderator.Theres people who own this place.Alot of scandals/allegations popped up back then when it was not moderated.But here is the problem no put their name on it to own it.

Iam also fed up of people talking about corruption then waste their time agueing with each other over here.if you are an educated person or priviledge, we have the responsibility to help educate our folks back home.Better way to do this is to start with people close to you.Anyone already in a a group like that send me your contact.

-Peace-

emma

No score for this post
February 11 2011, 7:57 AM 

Illusion, it's true what you're saying to a point. Let's not overlook that some people are brave enough to put out the information, and willing to face the heat. Look at Nalmu's blog, he comes up with original stuff now and again and I'm sure he gets some bad feedback but he's still on line. The pngexposed blog is bit different. Seems like they're anonymous (ie who runs the site) so they can avoid detection I guess. anyway I would agree with an overall feeling that the blogs have now become the leading edge in reporting secret info that all us PNGs should be aware of. We can then turn to discussing those matters on discussion forums like here after they appear first on the talk forums like this place.
There hasn't been a thing posted on this site about the incredible corruption scandals in the dept finance that i can see, is this not allowed? (there were demands to take the info down at other sites but they left it up).

BK

No score for this post
February 18 2011, 10:02 AM 

How is educating people about corruption going to change anything? We're all educated about corruption if we're on the internet but we're not doing anything to stop it. What's the difference? We're just fooling ourselves thinking that things will change if we do more of the same.

Aneme

No score for this post
March 7 2011, 12:26 PM 

Blogs may become tools for change in the near future. As we all have seen, social networking sites have been instrumental in the revolutionary change currently sweeping through Arab nations so don't underestimate the power of the internet.

Current Topic - blogs or discussion forums are either a stimulant for political progreess in png?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board