PNGscape Komuniti Board

Part of the PNGscape Komuniti.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board  

You'll never ever see something like this happen in PNG!

June 2 2012 at 12:49 PM
No score for this post
reporter 

Neither will our government ever subsidize the price of diesel, kero and petrol that comes from oil FROM OUR OWN GROUND but also you will never see us rise up against the government about anything.

Indians in nationwide strike over fuel prices hike
By: AFP | June 01, 2012 |

NEW DELHI - A nation-wide strike against rising petrol prices in India closed shops and disrupted public transport on Thursday, with the under-fire government facing new dissent over its economic management.

Opposition political parties and trade unions enforced a shutdown in many cities, with anti-government marches held in New Delhi and commercial hub Mumbai. “Our protest is successful,” claimed Prakash Javdekar, spokesman of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). “Millions of angry Indians are protesting against the petrol price rise. “The government will have to change their decision now,” he told AFP. In New Delhi, most shops were closed and traffic was extremely light, with many workers deciding to stay home because of the lack of public transport. In Mumbai, the Shiv Sena party, a BJP ally with a history of violent protests, instructed residents that they “should not venture out of their houses” and there were reports of buses being stoned and offices attacked.

Last week, Indian state-run oil firms announced the sharpest jump in petrol prices in nearly a decade to offset growing losses caused by subsidised rates.
Once taxes are included, the price increase of 6.28 rupees (11 US cents) per litre will result in a 7.5-rupee hike for consumers in cities such as Delhi.

The government faces pressure from the street to help the poor with the rising cost of living in India — annual inflation is running at 7.0 percent — but analysts say subsidies must be contained due to a gaping public deficit.
“The price rise is killing us and the government is sleeping but today will wake them up,” said Ravikant Sahai, a grocery shop owner in New Delhi.
Sahai, 43, said he would not open his shop and hoped many other traders would join the strike.

“Petrol price rises hurt everyone. Our business suffers. Why is this government determined to hurt us?” he said.

R.K. Singh, the chairman of Bharat Petroleum Company Limited, a state-run fuel retailer, told India’s CNBC-TV18 channel that retail petrol prices might be cut by up to two rupees a litre due to falling crude prices.

In 2010 the government deregulated petrol prices in a reform aimed at reducing the massive subsidies it pays to state-run fuel refiners which rely on imported energy.
A series of smaller petrol price increases last year caused a major headache for the government with the second-largest party in the ruling coalition threatening to pull out.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
NOR THIS

Re: You'll never ever see something like this happen in PNG!

No score for this post
June 3 2012, 1:29 PM 

Egyptians Protest Mubarak Verdict

Egyptian anti-Mubarak protesters demonstrate in Cairo's Tahrir square on June 2, 2012.

Elizabeth Arrott
June 02, 2012

CAIRO - Thousands of Egyptians have taken to the streets to protest the verdicts in the trial of former President Hosni Mubarak. The ousted leader was given a life sentence for his role in the killing of protesters during last year's uprising, but others in the case were acquitted.

Demonstrators turned out in Alexandria, Suez and other cities across the nation. In Cairo, protesters flooded Tahrir Square, the heart of the revolution, demanding everything from a retrial to the death penalty for Mubarak.

&#8203;&#8203;
Weak evidence

The prosecutor had called for the harsher sentence, but the judge, citing weak evidence, used his discretion in handing down a life term. He found that Mubarak failed to prevent the deaths during the first week of the uprising, but was not directly responsible for them. The same verdict and sentence was given to former interior minister Habib al Adli.

Equally galling to the anti-Mubarak crowds was the acquittal of six top security officials, with some demonstrators arguing the case ended up like the revolution itself, with the leaders off the stage, but the next tier unscathed.

It was a rapid turn of mood from the jubilation outside the courthouse when the verdict was announced earlier in the day.

Family members of those killed embraced, wept, and fell to the ground in prayer.

Protester Mohammed held a picture of his brother Bilal, killed during the first days of the uprising. He said his brother went out to ask for “bread, freedom and equality” - instead, he got a bullet.

From joy to anger

&#8203;But as the implications of the verdict were absorbed, and the chance it could be easily overturned became clearer, the joy turned to anger.

Some were also furious that Mubarak, his sons Gamal and Alaa, and others were acquitted of corruption charges. They suspect the vast wealth allegedly accumulated by the Mubarak family and inner circle would remain in their hands.

But some opponents of the old government felt there would, ultimately, be justice for the victims of the uprising.

Abdel Basset el Fasheni, who works with the Al Azhar Institute, said the blood of the martyrs, whether Muslim or Christian, is the responsibility of all Egyptians. "If we're not accountable in this life, we will be in front of God," he noted.

Re: You'll never ever see something like this happen in PNG!

No score for this post
November 9 2012, 4:10 AM 

Hello!
I'm Nelia I found your contact while surfing the Internet and I picked interest in getting incontact with you so as to know you better. I wish to be in relationship with you and may be discover ourselves as real friends/partners. If you're interested then write me back here (maribabyu21@yahoo.com)ok. I will be happy seeing a good response from you so that i can send you my picture and tell you more about me.
Thanks and remain blessed.
Greetings,
Nelia

Current Topic - You'll never ever see something like this happen in PNG!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to board