[New Post][Rules][Links][Synopsis][Costuming Board][FanFic Board]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Discussion topic: How old do you see each of the characters?

January 22 2003 at 2:57 PM
MsJellicle  (no login)
from IP address 142.173.59.49

I was having a conversation with Tuggerine earlier and found out that we see the characters as very different ages. For example, she thinks that the kittens would be no younger than the human age equivalent of 14. Whereas I see the kittens as much younger...even as young as 6 or 7. So, that got me thinking about how everyone else views the approximate ages of the characters from various productions and video.

So now I'm asking. How old do you see each of the characters in the show? And why do you see them at that age? (I'm aware that there are exceptions. For example, Jellylorum is played as younger in the Broadway and US Tour productions. And older in the UK productions.)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rumblepurr
(Login Rumblepurr)

Approximate Ages

January 22 2003, 3:24 PM 

In TJC, I had to make some assumptions that are probably not very accurate... But here is where I placed them... (These are the "Video" characters...)

9 years (roughly 35-40 Human)
Macavity, Jennyanydots

8 Years (roughly 30-35 Human)
Skimbleshanks

7 years (Roughly 25-30 Human)
Jellylorum, Munkustrap, Bombalurina, Cassandra, Coricopat(*), Tantomile(*)

6 Years (Roughly 21-25 Human)
Exotica, Plato [TJC--Brutus], Mungojerrie, Admetus [TJC - Quaxo], Tugger

5 Years (roughly 18-21 Human)
Alonzo, Demeter, Mistoffelees, Rumpleteazer, Victoria

4 Years (roughly 15-18 Human)
Tumblebrutus, Electra, Etcetera, Asparagus (jr.), Pouncival

3 Years (roughly 12-15 Human)
Jemima

(*) - age actually unknown...

Rumblepurr
The Writer Cat.

Respond to this message   
Coricopat
(Login Coricopat)

Ages

January 23 2003, 5:19 PM 

Ok first of all, wherever Munkustrap is put, Demeter is in that same age category. They have thing going, if you are going from the movie. Second, Victoria or the white cat, Jemima, and Etcetera are three of the kittens. So they are probably in the age range of 7-11, but keep in mind that in the movie they are very much attatched to Tugger. They can't be too terrible young or they wouldn't be so.....enthusiastic when it comes to liking an older cat. Oh and by the way, Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Coricopat
Demeter in disguise

Respond to this message   

Rumblepurr
(Login Rumblepurr)

Ages...

January 23 2003, 10:42 PM 

Hi Cori...

Not exactly sure what is meant by "Demeter in disguise" but that is immaterial...

I placed Demeter slightly younger because of some plot developments in TJC, which is my fanfiction series. By doing so, Bombalurina is able to be a "big sister" type in protecting her. I chose the particular age grouping, even thought Munk is older, because of her shyness... a young adult Queen not truly sure of herself... And yes, Munk does indeed have her as a romantic interest.

On the Princess kittens... Like some of the pop idols, Tugger would attract Queens (mature adults) and Princesses (kitten) alike. Victoria, Electra, Etcetera and Jemima would go after him like many "teens" do our pop idols...

Rumblepurr
The Writer Cat

This message has been edited by Rumblepurr from IP address 64.38.93.236 on Jan 23, 2003 10:47 PM

Respond to this message   
littlgriz
(Login littlgriz1)

the kittens

January 23 2003, 12:09 PM 

the kittens are about normal kitten a ge but grizabella is a bout 90 yers old as acat

Respond to this message   
Coricopat
(Login Coricopat)

Re: the kittens

January 23 2003, 5:21 PM 

She's definitely not around 90 years old! Yes she is older than most of the cats, but she's younger than Gus the Theatre Cat and he's only about 70. So Grizabella is probably closer to 50 maybe 60, but that's pushing it. The only thing about her is that she is a little bit on the worn side.

Coricopat
Demeter in disguise

Respond to this message   
littlgriz
(Login littlgriz1)

thanks

January 23 2003, 6:13 PM 

thanks i dident knowe her atual age pursssssssssssssssss

Respond to this message   
MsJellicle
(no login)

My answers...

January 23 2003, 4:44 PM 

Alonzo - He seems to be youngish yet more mature at the same time. I think he's around 24.
Bombalurina - Mature and knows what she wants. She seems to act more around her late 20's... possibly 27.
Cassandra - Mysterious and seems to have an almost arrogant wisdom about her. I put her as older. Yet she also knows how to have a little fun. I'd say she's around 31.
Coricopat - I always got the sense that the twins were older as well. Maybe somewhere between 30 and 33.
Demeter - Still young enough to be 'learning the ropes' I think, but more mature than the kittens. I'd say she's around 24 or 25.
Electra - All playful and tricky! 11 years old.
Etcetera - She's gotta be a 'tween. Perhaps 12.
Gus - I'm kinda up in the air as to whether he is actually older than Old Deuteronomy or not. Life may have been harder on him than on Old D. But I suppose I would put him around...um... 80 years old.
Jellylorum - In the Video/London production, I'd say she is around 45 or so. In the Broadway/US Tours I think she is more around 31 or 32.
Jemima - Sorry..but I just don't see her as a teen. She's supposed to be the youngest in most productions (excluding the Japanese production). I'd say she's around 9 or 10.
Jennyanydots - Not very many 65 year olds, I think, can tap dance. She's motherly though and good natured. I'd say she's closer to around 50 at the oldest. Maybe 48.
Macavity - I see him as a Moriarity-type of cat. Which means he's gotta be older. Possibly around 39 or 40.
Mistoffelees - I like the Ageless theory. But if I were to place an age on him....I don't see him as a kitten. I would say around....25 or so.
Mungojerrie - He acts young, but I get the feeling he's older than he acts. The same thing with Rumpleteazer. I'd gues Mungo is around 22 or 23 years old.
Munkustrap - Very serious and mature, but can be good-natured as well. I'd say he's older...say around 34 or 35.
Old Deuteronomy - I'd say he's very healthy for being his age. Around 80 or 85. This is why I think he might be more like a grandfather to the others instead of a father.
Plato - I'm always surprised when people place him in the kitten catagory. I just can't see it. He's older. Possibly around 28 or so.
Pouncival - Youngest of the male kittens. Possibly the second youngest of all. Around 10 or 11.
Rum Tum Tugger - He's been around the block a few times. Young enough to shirk responsibility, but old enough to know what's what. Hmm... Around 30.
Rumpleteazer - The same as Mungojerrie. She acts young, but seems to be a little older. Yet, at the same time, she's often thrown in with the kittens. My guess is that she's around 18 or 19.
Sillabub - as played on Broadway and the US Tour - around 10; as played in Japan...just judging from the pictures and other things I hear, around 7 or 8.
Skimbleshanks - I see him as older, but not old. Perhaps around 38 or 40.
Tantomile - Again, I always got the sense that the twins were older as well. Maybe somewhere between 30 and 33.
Tumblebrutus - He's young and likes to move around quite a bit. But I see him as older than Pounce. Possibly around 15.
Victoria - I agree with what someone said earlier. She's just coming of age and discovering her body (or just doing some grooming ). I'd say around 14 or 15. I might be willing to go as high as 17 depending on who is playing her.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on MusicalsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

E-mail Forum Owner