Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?......Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Index  

Insight on a hostile takeover of our little church (Sheltering Arms, TX)-help!

January 4 2008 at 1:49 AM
Kat Power  (Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison
from IP address 72.154.208.165

Maybe someone out there might give some advise on a issue we have going on at our church (Sheltering Arms, San Antonio, TX). About 8 or 9 months ago, our pastor who founded the church, resigned. We have about 100 members of a full gospel, mostly older church. The new pastor who we didn't research or get any references on (bad idea), has decided to fire the board that the members had voted in. The board tried to tell him that he couldn't fire the board, the congregation would have to. If you disagree with anything this new pastor says, he says "you have a contentious spirit". He now has appointed a new board, which is uncomfortable because most of this church has been good friends and we have known each other for years. He has tried to get the secretary's name off of the checking accout and told one of the board members to get on his hands and knees and beg HIS forgiveness. The 60 or so members that still have their brains engaged have hired a lawyer. We are concerned that he is trying his best to get his hands on the money that this small church has managed to save (sbout 140,000.) I am ready to take a hike, but the old (legal) board is trying to protect the church. Should we just let this guy take over and see what happens or fight the dude. He has hired a constable to be in our 100 member church in case someone gets out of line with him. We are suppose to have a business meeting this Sunday to vote his butt out but he said we couldn't have the meeting. We have a constitution that shows what he is doing is not in his power, but he just ignores it. What would you guys do? Ya'll seem pretty savvy on all this stuff. I have been told that I am not spiritual enough by this guy, (he is probably right). I have been praying about it. Maybe ya'll could too. My heart is broken because I have been going to this church since I was 12 years old (I am 47 now), and I hate to see what it is doing to everybody. It's really sad. Advise would be appreciated.

Kathy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ArTex
(no login)

RE: Sheltering Arms

January 4 2008, 9:01 AM 

Realistically, you're not going to get the type of help you need from this site; no offense intended, but the site has pretty specific goals geared toward a traditional Church of Christ perspective. I happen to monitor this site, and saw your post.

It sounds as if you have a single individual who has managed to cow most of the congregation - sadly, not unheard of. But it also sounds like you still have a majority who would oppose him. This is the time for that majority to stand up and be counted.

There are some good church conflict management teams who may be of help - one works out of David Lipscomb University in Tennessee - but frankly, it sounds as if your pastor is out of control and well beyond any hope of negotiation.

In point of fact, your "constable" has no real authority. What's he going to do, shoot you? Personally, I'd hold the business meeting anyway. If you're locked out of your own building, hold it in the parking lot. If the police are called, leave quietly and continue your meeting somewhere else. Your findings should be presented publicly (but also in writing), and with all participating parties present. In other words, all 60 of you should deliver the message.

It sounds as if legal action has already begun. Normally I oppose that for many reasons, but in this case, I think you have to be prepared for that if you hold your meeting, vote him out, and he's still there anyway.

And once he has been removed, I'd strongly recommend you revisit your charter. I don't endorse this site, but I strongly believe in the leadership principles used by the Churches of Christ. This is why we have elders, who are typically chosen by a consensus of moral respect by the congregation, and the elders are where the authority should be. And at my congregation, our charter spells out the fact that the minister(s) work for the elders, not the contrary. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

God bless you. I sincerely hope things work out for your congregation. I hate to see churches either split or fail.

Respond to this message   
Kathy
(no login)

response to advise

January 5 2008, 9:02 AM 

WOW! That is exactly what we are doing. Either I explained it well or you pick up on stuff pretty quick. yes, we are going to have the vote anyway. Thank you for responding. I did realize I was at a Church of Christ site, but I figured a Christian is a Christian..right is right and wrong is wrong. My fear was that I was too close to the situation and that I was biased. Some of the people that this man is attacking are my family. I don't know if you are interested or not but we did have a developement yesterday. Our old pastor is in town and has agreed to be our temporary pastor until we find another one (with lots of references! HA!. The bad part of being non denominational is we have no one other than our board to take our concerns to. I was thinking it would be nice to have a set up like the Catholics or the Baptists. Oh Well, thank you for the input!! Many blessing to you!!
Kathy

Respond to this message   
Shon
(no login)

hostile takeover

May 31 2013, 12:30 PM 

To Kathy

I am sorry for all that has happened at your Church I am also thankful that the founding pastor returned for a season expressing his love and concern for the flock an I pray for the success of the conagration to find a new pastor that will lead the people in the fear of the Lord.
God Bless you all in Jesus name
Bishop Shon C. Crowdus Sr.
Louisville Ky

Respond to this message   
Tom Brite
(no login)

To the Moderator

January 5 2008, 9:17 AM 

You may delete my last post on this thread. I have responded to this lady via email. Thanks!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened At the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter