Akita skin problemsJuly 17 2008 at 6:51 AM
No score for this post
|Wil (Login engourdi)|
Akita Q & A Forum (Forum Members)
Hi my name is Wil. I am looking for some help from owners of Akitas while I am trying to correct our new dogs health problems.
We adopted a 17mth female Akita about 4 days ago. She is a beautiful well behaved and temperament dog. This is the good news from it. She came with a bad skin allergy. I did not know the extent of her problems until I received all the records from the vet. She is going to be an expensive dog.
This is not our first Akita it is actually our 3rd. We had a pup that was lost to hip problems and older male we adopted that live until he was 12 last year. So we have dealt with some of the breeds problems.
The new female (Yuki) has terribly itchy skin. She is on a prescription anti-histamine for it this doesn't really work that well. I want to get her off of it. She has been to the specialist for dermatology. There have been a battery of test on her and the result was atophy. This is not very helpful and sounds like what they would name a condition they are unsure of how to fix. The dog is allergic to many things. She is anemic and has poorer lymph system.
First thought is to change the food which we did. I now use Canidae lamb formula. She was previously on cheap food from Walmart. I have added flax oil to her meals and also fish oils. We are using whitchhazel on her skin to reduce itching and this works but on for a temp amount of time. We also have been using aloe from our plants on her skin. Other than that we are riding it out to wait for some form of a change.
The next step is to take her to the local holistic vet we have. I get into the practice and figure the regular vet hasn't figured it out so far maybe the holistic ones can.
Any ideas are welcome.
- Hi Wil - Chrissy on Jul 17, 2008, 7:02 AM
- Since Wil posted - Kathy on Jul 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
- poor babe... - Elea on Jul 17, 2008, 7:03 AM
- Hi Wil - Sarah on Jul 17, 2008, 7:06 AM
- Welcome Wil and Yuki (I think we now have 3) ... Our - Olivia Cicconi on Jul 17, 2008, 7:24 AM
- Re: Welcome Wil and Yuki (I think we now have 3) ... Our - Wil on Jul 17, 2008, 7:41 AM
- Poor baby! - Sarah on Jul 17, 2008, 7:53 AM
- Scabes - Doreen on Aug 11, 2013, 7:14 PM
- watch out for flax! - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 7:55 AM
- Re: watch out for flax! - Wil on Jul 17, 2008, 8:07 AM
- for a first try, i would suggest - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 9:13 AM
- Re: for a first try, i would suggest - Wil on Jul 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
- yep, i make my own... - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 11:16 AM
- I do - Christine on Jul 17, 2008, 11:26 AM
- Re: I do - Anonymous on Jul 17, 2008, 4:13 PM
- I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time! - Christine on Jul 17, 2008, 9:35 PM
- That would be perfect for you guys!! - Sarah on Jul 17, 2008, 7:23 PM
- make treats - Susan on Apr 13, 2012, 9:52 AM
- ~*~*~ YUKI PHOTOS ~*~*~ - Chrissy on Jul 17, 2008, 9:06 AM
- she is gorgeous!! - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 9:13 AM
- such a pretty GIRL!!! - Elea on Jul 17, 2008, 9:14 AM
- What a honey bunny!!! - Becky Bullard on Jul 17, 2008, 9:17 AM
- What a small world! - Sarah on Jul 17, 2008, 9:18 AM
- Re: ~*~*~ YUKI PHOTOS ~*~*~ - Wil on Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
- Re: ~*~*~ YUKI PHOTOS ~*~*~ - Betty Erter on Jul 17, 2008, 11:02 AM
- cute pair!!! - Elea on Jul 17, 2008, 12:02 PM
- Aww, Nikko - Sarah on Jul 17, 2008, 7:21 PM
- Hi and.. - Penny on Jul 17, 2008, 7:23 PM
- Wow - Lloyd on Apr 12, 2012, 6:14 AM
- Hi Wil - Kathy on Jul 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
- while some flax is a good thing... - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
- Very true, but the same - Kathy on Jul 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
- yep, i agree - Nicky on Jul 17, 2008, 12:08 PM
- Re: yep, i agree - Anonymous on Jul 17, 2008, 4:15 PM
- Pretty Girl - Genoa on Jul 17, 2008, 10:58 AM
- Please remember one thing... - Monica on Jul 17, 2008, 9:37 PM
- Re: Please remember one thing... - Anonymous on Jul 18, 2008, 2:57 AM
- Hi. - Chuck on Jul 18, 2008, 4:11 AM
- Re: Akita skin problems - patsy bustos on May 6, 2011, 4:25 PM
- akita skin problems - amie on Apr 11, 2012, 6:59 PM
- Any updates? - cecille on Apr 25, 2012, 9:42 AM