Back to Main Forum Page  

Re: Advice for a new rescue

August 28 2010 at 1:50 PM
No score for this post
Sean  (Login RRRidley)
Akita Q & A Forum (Forum Members)

Response to Advice for a new rescue

Sounds like you have all the basics covered and are well equipped for this. The mistake too many people make with rescues is being slack with them and pampering them because they are coming from a hard life. people like to spoil rescue dogs and it's a big mistake. I fostered a 2-3 y/o female last year and got her trained up nice in 6 weeks and my neighbors then adopted her from me. She was a lot like your soon to be sounds like. Good natured, but untrained. My biggest worry was with kids and falling into a situation that had caused her grief before. Turned out she loved kids and has only been spooked a few times. She now wont even go on furniture even if she's invited. When I got her she wa a counter surfer and couch potato. It seems to me it's true thast these dogs want strong leaders, once you give them that, everything else will fall into place (with a lot of hard work!).

sig.jpg

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. wondering about the unknowns - Megan on Aug 28, 2010, 2:33 PM
    1. Hi....thanks for rescuing! - KathyD-NJ on Aug 28, 2010, 8:09 PM
      1. what I know - and don't - Megan on Aug 28, 2010, 10:44 PM
        1. Good -- - KathyD-NJ on Aug 28, 2010, 11:00 PM

2. Thanks! - Megan on Aug 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
Find more forums on DogsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement