Back to Main Forum Page  

what I know - and don't

August 28 2010 at 10:44 PM
No score for this post

(Login MeganM-WA)

Response to Hi....thanks for rescuing!

Hi Kathy, and thank you!
I'm adopting him from WAG (Washington Akita Group), and I have confidence in them to do all of the necessary screenings. I have visited him, and spent some time with him and his foster. I didn't want to agree to adopt him before I had met him, and the meeting went well. He doesn't walk in heel position, so I worked with him on that for a short time while I was there. He will definitely work for food, and I can back that off gradually. His foster told me about his reactions to kids, dogs, cars, etc., so I do have some good information. I used the "mom voice" a couple of times, and he accepted it from me. ("Off!" when he jumped up.) I also tested to see whether he'd let me touch his tail and feet. He was a little uncomfortable with the tail, and didn't like having his feet touched - but he allowed it, without grumbling. I want to be his bather and groomer, including toenails, so that's important. I know that it will take time for us to trust each other.

I guess I'm just not feeling entirely confident because this is new for me. I have never brought an adult Akita into my life and home. Thank you for the invitation to the Rescue Adopters list - I will join.

Megan

P.S. How do I post a picture here? I did put his picture in my profile, but I don't know how to put it in a posting.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Good -- - KathyD-NJ on Aug 28, 11:00 PM
Find more forums on DogsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement