Back to Main Forum Page  

Re: I have a question....

April 24 2011 at 10:34 AM
No score for this post

Christine  (Login CAWright)
Akita Q & A Forum (Forum Members)

Response to I have a question....

Good call, Chuck! I had forgotten that Yume is on leash most of the time, even in the house when out of her crate - is that right, Maria? Our dogs are loose all the time except out in public on walks. So it is definitely possible that Yume just got the zoomies on leash since she is mostly on leash and controlled. If it's the zoomies, then, yes, all of my Akitas get them, even Kiba, who is typically a sloth. Yuki goes a little beyond typical zoomies in her excitement, especially when she was younger, but she is also more excitable than my other Akitas. Even at 6.5 years old she gets zoomies about once every couple of days. She also tries to bite my heels (playing, not aggression) as I walk when she's excited. She gets kicked in the chin sometimes when I take steps as she does this but she thinks it is great fun. I just have to make sure I don't trip happy.gif

Maria, if Yume is having the zoomies and you let her offleash in an enclosed area (like a fenced yard or a ball field) she will start to run at full speed around the place and will do this for a few minutes and return to you nice and tired. I usually shoo the dogs out into the yard if they are getting zoomies in the house and they will shoot out and run loops. It's easy to tell if Yume has the zoomies or has some other issue - the dogs are HAPPY when they get the zoomies. And they usually get the zoomies when they are very excited, before an event that makes them very happy. Before a walk is definitely a possibility. If you want, I can try to record Yuki one of these days and you can see if what Yume is doing is similar.

Yes, the ha ha ha panting is usually laughter, unless they are also salivating when they are doing it, in which case it's either anxiety or the dog is hot.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Even a - Kathy on Apr 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
    1. mine will do it in the house too! - Christine on Apr 24, 2011, 1:21 PM
      1. My husband calls it ... - Maria on Apr 24, 2011, 5:44 PM
        1. Never tried using a flexi - Christine on Apr 24, 2011, 6:34 PM
          1. I'm sure you can find an empty - Kathy on Apr 24, 2011, 7:21 PM

Find more forums on DogsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement