I currently have an Akita/BorderCollie female who is an amazing dog... Her personality is wonderful. I've been considering a male for quite some time now, and need some honest answers. Please, no smoke and mirrors. I want the hard facts! I'm trying to decide between an Akita or German Rottweiler. I'd like to support one or the other for life, and may even do some light hobby breeding with quality dogs.
- Are they overly aggressive? I know they have a high prey drive and can't be left around unknown kids, but is their aggression out of control? Is it true that no one is safe in your home who the dog doesn't know? I hear some won't even allow eye contact with a stranger.
- Do they ignore commands, and how often or why? I see myself as a very sturn and dominate type personality, but in balance. Do these dogs know what respect is?
- Are they nervous and unsure/uneasy dogs?
- Some say they are not mentally stable. True, or just ignorance?
- I hear they can turn on their own owners and bite. True? If so, is it above the norm?
- How do you describe their personality?
- How's grooming?
- What's the best diet?
- Can they learn to tone down their dog aggression?
- Will he try to constantly dominate or abuse my girl when he matures?
- How do you rate them as a guard dog?
- How do you rate them as a loyal friend?
- How do you rate their intelligence? My girl is brilliant, but she's a Border Collie mix, so I'm unclear.
- Do they truly favor one person above all others? I'm single, but...
- How are they when left alone while at work? Do they behave?
- Do they make good jogging buddies?
- Do they enjoy play and how often? My girl loves fetch, but like keep away too. I hear some Akita's just want to do their own thing and destroy your yard instead of play with you.
- How do they accept displine and what's the best route? I don't spank unless super necessary.
- How's their health in general?
- How are they at different ages? Young, mid-life, old...
I will have more questions later, and please, feel free to add any relevant information I've over-looked now. Answer as many or as few as you please. Thanks in advance!
Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.