Potty training help?April 25 2012 at 11:36 AM
No score for this post
|Brian D (Login tananaBrian)|
We have a beautiful long coat Akita that has a wonderful temperament, and she's now about 10 months old. Potty training has never worked (or we never did it right?) ...in the sense that she never 'asks' in any way to go out. She never has. Once or twice, we've seen her go to a door and in a couple of seconds, decide to 'go' in the house as though we were supposed to read her mind. Keep in mind that she'll go to the door to look out the window a million "no potty call" times anyway, so there is no easy way to tell which is which ...wants to look out the window? Or is thinking that she needs to go potty? She's very non-vocal unless a moose is outside (we're in Knik, Alaska). Normally, she goes potty outside (on a leash) in a particular area of the yard (now ponded over due to Spring break up ...melted snow ponding on frozen ground), or in one end of her dog run, or on a walk ...and we walk her probably 4 times a day between us. BUT, once in awhile, she'll potty in the house... sometimes right in front of us. She's done it 3 times in 3 days (2 pees, one poo) but normally will do it more like once a month or maybe even a tad less. What's changed recently is that her dog run is an absolute mess due to Spring break up (mud, ponding, etc) and she's been spending more time in the house or in her indoor kennel... not free to go potty at will outdoors.
SOOOoooooo ...my question is this: How DO you potty train an Akita who gives no physical or vocal sign that she needs to go? There's no behavior to reward! Is there some way to encourage behavior that doesn't yet exist??? This is a real puzzler for us... she's learned all other things in a stellar manner and is a very smart and obedient dog otherwise.
- Re: Potty training help? - cecille on Apr 25, 2012, 2:24 PM
- Re: Potty training help? - Brian on Apr 25, 2012, 3:10 PM
- Re: Potty training - Nikki on Apr 25, 2012, 6:08 PM
- Re: Potty training - Brian on Apr 25, 2012, 8:55 PM
- Re: Potty training help? - Patricia on Apr 26, 2012, 4:55 AM
- Re: Potty training help? - Brian on Apr 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
- I use the bell thing too :) - Jenny on Apr 27, 2012, 2:48 PM
- We used bells too - Susan on May 2, 2012, 7:37 AM
- I've always - pauline on May 1, 2012, 3:35 PM