<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Rhetoric  

Anonymous
(Select Login papajay)
TopBoy

Re: Good books / authors

No score for this post
September 8 2017, 7:23 PM 

I've just read Waiting For Sunrise by William Boyd

I'm not particularly well read so my comparators might be a little wide of the mark but it reminded me of Sebastian Faulks and John Le Carre, for pretty obvious reasons.

Anyway, it was fantastic. I love an engrossing book that can effortlessly transport you to another time and place and this made me want to be alive in early 20th Centruty Vienna.

dotorg365 http://www.network54.com/Forum/673024/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Anonymous
(Login Sexual_Harassment_Panda)
TopBoy

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 2:51 AM 

Late to the party with this one but The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is an absolutely excellent book.

Anonymous
(Login circles0rsuch)
TopBoy

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 10:45 PM 

Have read a few good ones recently. My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal is sad and lovely. Anything is Possible by Elizabeth is excellent (although, it is almost a collection of short stories that are tied together, rather than a novel) and Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty is incredible. It is quiet and insular but the best book I've read this year.

Anonymous
(Login circles0rsuch)
TopBoy

No score for this post
September 10 2017, 10:45 PM 

*Elizabeth Strout

Anonymous
(Login FuriousWank)
TopBoy

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 3:22 PM 

"Late to the party with this one but The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is an absolutely excellent book."

I've got that somewhere, glad to hear some good words about it.

I've just finished A Brief History Of Seven Killings by Marlon James. It was needlessly long, but so well-written with enough great characters, that I didn't mind.

About to start a book called Saving Agnes by Rachel Cusk. Someone told me she's good.
-------------------------

"I know stonemanic. It's the moron from North who makes lists."

Anonymous
(Select Login papajay)
TopBoy

No score for this post
September 14 2017, 3:55 PM 

Shadow of The Wind sold a ridiculous amount of copies across Europe. It's a cracking escapist read. Another of those books that transports you and makes you want to find that place.

dotorg365 http://www.network54.com/Forum/673024/

Anonymous
(Login FuriousWank)
TopBoy

No score for this post
October 13 2017, 2:31 PM 

Read a few great ones recently:

Don DeLillo's Underworld. A little bit too long, but so well written and most of the characters are really engrossing and genuine
Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - another masterpiece. I love him
Snowdrops by A.D Miller - I can't remember why I bought it, but it wasn't very good. Superficial, not that well-written and not even entertaining or exciting
Fiona Mozley - Elmet. Totally engrossing account of a couple of kids that grow up in the countryside with their Dad in Yorkshire. Gets really nasty towards the end.
George Saunders - The Brief And Frightening Reign Of Phil / In Persuasion Nation. Not as good as Tenth Of December (some of the characters are a bit samey) but still actually laugh out loud funny
Elizabeth Strout - Olive Kitteridge. I can't put into words how much I loved it

I'm reading an Ali Smith book now called There But For The. I can already tell it's going to be great
-------------------------

"I know stonemanic. It's the moron from North who makes lists."

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Rhetoric  
Find more forums on Indie RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement