KIRKBYMOORSIDEdiscussion forum

Return to Index  

Motor Vehicles being driven on Bridleway

May 2 2009 at 4:55 PM
Fran Mason 

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the use by new owners of Low Park Farm and people from the cottages at the top of the bridleway that links Park Lane (top of Castlegate) with Swineherd Lane.
I became concerned when the bridleway was tarmac'd and even more concerned once the fencing was put in and then the gates removed.
On many occasions when I walk early in the morning on this bridleway - usually travelling from Park Lane towards Low Park and Swineherd Lane - and am met by motor vehicles from the farm and cottages driving down towards the town. I also often see the horses using the bridleway, and it is a very well-used bridleway.
When the motor vehicles are on the bridleway there is nowhere for a horse and rider to go.
Where is the need to drive down to the town on the bridleway? It cannot take more than about an extra 30 seconds to go the "long" way round via Swineherd Lane.
Now Castlegate, Park Lane and the bridleway are increasingly used by large lorries trying to deliver to the farm, which is even more dangerous for walkers and horse riders.
I understand that the people at the farm and cottages have been alerted to the distress they are causing.
The bridleway is clearly marked as such.
Has the time come to make a public fuss about this or will these people come to the realisation that there is very little point in causing nuisance and upset to the local users of the bridleways and simply take their vehicles on the public roads as they should be doing?

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement