KIRKBYMOORSIDEdiscussion forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rudland Rigg - wartime training exercises/crashed bomber

May 11 2010 at 2:28 PM
Bob Walker 

Hi

I'm trying to research some of the wartime history of Kirkbymoorside and the North Yorkshire Moors and was wondering if anyone can add to my limited information on a couple of things!

1) Up on Rudland Rigg (Google Maps 54.334368,-0.98701)the army carried out training during the war. My dad has told me of a tank being left on the moor, use for live firing, target practice etc which was evntually removed when the war ended. Up until the 1980s there were still a few rusty bits lying around but all seems to have rotted away now. I'd like to hear from anyone who has any recollections of seeing this tank on the moor, and even better..photographs of it in situ! Any general recollections of what kind of training exercises went on up there would also be most welcome

2) Any personal accounts or witnesses to the crash/aftermath of a four engined bomber at just about the same location mentioned above. A Halifax MkV took off from Rufforth sometime in September 1943 but spun in and impacted on this part of the moor, tragically killing all of the crew. I've managed to find RAF records of this crash but any personal accounts/photos and memories would again be most welcome

Finally, any general information about wartime experiences in Kirby, Farndale, Rudland,Fadmoor, Gillamoor etc etc. Memories, literature, contacts would be welcomed. If I can pull together enough information I intend to write a book about the impact the war had on this community.

Reply on here or I can be contacted personally at thebobwalker@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks in advance!!

Bob

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Rudland Rigg - wartime training exercises/crashed bomber
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement