KIRKBYMOORSIDEgenealogy forum

Return to Index  

Trotter / Grainge families Masham and Grewelthorpe

February 28 2012 at 12:52 AM
Warren Campbell-Trotter 

My name is Warren Campbell-Trotter and I live in Christchurch New Zealand.

Recently I had the good fortune to discover I have a 4th cousin living in Luton, and who is a member of the Trotter family.
She informed me we have a common ancestor William Trotter born 1754. He married Jane Hutton. Either William or Jane was from Hutton Magna, Sledwich Hall.
I don't know how many children they had, but I know of 2 = George Trotter born 1794 (my ancestor) and Hutton Trotter born 1810 (my cousin's line).
George married a Jane Hunter (born Quarrington 1801) and together they had 12 children including Henry Trotter born 1846 in Barton. Henry ( my great grandfather) married Julia Annie Grainge born 1851 in Bramley Grange in Grewelthorpe and together they had 9 children including my grandfather Charles Henry Trotter born 1879 in Masham. This family were living in Masham for both the 1881 and 1891 census at 67 Silver Street. Henry was described as a grocer and farmer.

Charles Henry Trotter came to New Zealand around 1900 and establised what became the New Zealand branch of the family. Somehow, and for some unknown reason He became Charles Henry Campbell-Trotter, and the Campbell name has continued to be a family name from then. I would love to know how and why, but that's a mystery yet to be solved.

Now in 2012 I am wondering if there are still Trotter or Grainge family members living in North Yorkshire, hence this entry. If so, I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
Warren Campbell-Trotter
ps - thanks to my cousin Gina's research I am aware of other siblings names throughout the generations, and also of 2 generations before George of 1794. The first I know of is George Trotter born 1673 in Woodhouses and he married a Mary Dickinson

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Wanting family connectionsWarren Campbell-TrotterMar 27, 2013, 9:55 AM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement