KIRKBYMOORSIDEgenealogy forum

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

John Cussons

January 3 2004 at 10:07 PM

I am researching my husbands family history.

His great-grandmother, Emily CUSSONS married the Rev Thomas FLETCHER a Primitive Methodist Minister.

Emily's parents were John and Elizabeth CUSSONS(formerly JACKSON). This John CUSSONS was the subject of the book "The Miller of Horncastle" by Eileen CUSSONS.

John's parents were John and Susanna CUSSONS(formerly MARSAR). John and Susanna were married 4 Aug 1791 at Kirkdale. At least four of their children were born in Kirkbymoorside.

I do hope that somebody recognises the above family.

Regards,
Joan
(in Buckinghamshire)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

john cussons

January 7 2004, 5:05 AM 

Hello, I have a John Cussons married to an Eleonor
Coverdale, His first wife died leaving him with i think 4 children, Ethel, Arthur, Albert, and a Walter.
I do not have any dates, but believe arond 1885-1890.
In and around the Kirkbymoorside area.

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

January 12 2004, 8:34 PM 

Norman,
I tried to contact you at your own email address. My message was bounced back.
Joan

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

January 14 2004, 12:21 AM 

Not sure way it bounced back.
nandjwarriner@sasktel.net
Do you have a Jane Coverdale or Elizabeth Coverdale
all my family dad back was from Hagg Farm, Starfitts
and Westings all around Kirkbymoorside
Norman

Respond to this message   

Fletcher family

March 23 2007, 6:02 AM 

I was searching the internet and yes I do know the family you are talking about, if you contact me maybe I can fill in a few gaps and maybe you can fill in a few for me.

Respond to this message   

John Cusson's

September 23 2007, 2:56 AM 

Sorry for note getting back to you earlier
have been moving norman

Respond to this message   

Cussons

October 18 2008, 11:48 AM 

Hi Joan
this is a bit late but just to let you know I have a lot of info on the Cussons Family.They are on my tree ,tree name bentley family tree, on Ancestry if you have access.My username is johnbentley24.
or please e-mail direct.Does your husband know he is related to the Cussons soap people,& to Captain John Cussons of the Confederate Army?
How does he descend from Emily &the Rev Fletcher?
John.

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

July 30 2009, 1:15 AM 

I just found out on yesterday that my great, great,grandfather is John Cussons. I live in Richmond,VA and I am very interested in tracing my family roots. This discovery was fascinating to me and whatever I can do to assist any of you let me know.

Respond to this message   
Norman Warriner

John Cussons

August 3 2009, 6:38 PM 

Which John Cussons year of birth would help seeking around 1850 -1881 came overseas with a John Jennings about 1882-1900. Norman

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

October 20 2010, 5:46 PM 

Our office has some information concerning the Forest Lodge property that might be of interest.

Pam Greene, archivist
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
Henrico County Recreation and Parks
phone (804) 501-5229
email gre10@co.henrico.va.us

Respond to this message   

Cussons/Allen/Sheppard

October 19 2011, 5:38 PM 

My name is Vicki Stephens and I am a member of the Henrico County Historical Society. I am on the cemetery committee and handle genealogical inquiries for the society. I have been doing research on John Cussons, et al for almost two years now for a gentleman in England. There are also a couple of Henrico County parks and rec employees who are also searching for information. They and I are trying to compare what each of us have found and I am interested in seeing how what we have all relates. I will be glad to share what I have and I feel sure they would as well.

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

November 29 2012, 6:48 AM 

Hi Jonathan,
Could you contact me on my email address please?

Joan

Respond to this message   

Captain John Cussons 6th April 1838-5th January 1912

January 6 2011, 6:41 PM 

Hi I'm a distant relation to the above, on his wife's side Susan Ann Sheppard Cussons,Henrico County, Va.
Though I reside in Brentwood, Essex UK.

In brief: Captain John Cussons was VADC to General E. M. Law. He fought a duel in April 1863 with Major A H Belo 55th NC Infantry and was captured at both 2nd Manassas and Gettysburg.

I have an extreme amount of info about John's military career, which I'm still working on but am trying to build up a bigger picture of his life by filling in many gaps and un-answered questions. I also have a copy of the Miller of Horncastle. Maybe we could exchange info if your interested?

Len

Respond to this message   

January 6 2011, 9:36 PM 

A quick snippet for everybody's interest.

Susan Ann Cussons was the daughter of John Mosby Sheppard, Magistrate and High Sheriff in Henrico County and Mary G C Sheppard. Susan was born in 1825 and died on 24th October 1896. On 1st July 1845, aged 20, married a 25 year old Irish immigrant, Benjamin Bunbury Allen. They had no children. Benjamin died aged 44 on 29th August 1862, cause unknown, as yet. During the civil war, Susan ran a post office from her home, in Glen Allen*, for her neighbours to contact relatives and friends in the confederate army. Presumably this was how she and Captain John Cussons became acquainted. They married in Richmond on 19th May 1864. Due to the fact that Susan was 13 years John's senior, they had no children. *Glen Allen was named for the Allen family.

Len

Respond to this message   

January 8 2011, 10:57 AM 

If anyone would like to exchange/clarify information regarding Captain John Cussons and/or his wife Susan, my e.mail address is len.jolley@talktalk.net.

Regards to all

Len

Respond to this message   

Cussons and Fletcher Families

December 6 2010, 11:47 PM 

Joan, I am an avid genealogist over here in Georgia, USA. My wife is a greatgreatgreatgranddaughter of John and Elizabeth (Jackson) Cussons through their son, Edwin Jackson Cussons, brother to your Elizabeth Fletcher. We were close to Eileen Cussons who wrote the Miller of Horncastle and were fortunate to inherit all of her records and family materials upon her death. I would love to have your email address and to communicate with you about this family. We have trekked to England on three genealogical trips and covered much territory. Also, we have many old family pictures, including some of the Fletcher family. I look forward to hearing from you and exchanging information. Best regards, John Sheftall

Respond to this message   

Cussons

December 11 2010, 11:38 PM 

Hi
I too am related to Edwin Cussons & have Eileen's book in my posession.Plese do get in touch.
Best Wishes
John

Respond to this message   

Edwin Jackson Cussons

December 12 2010, 4:38 PM 

John Shaftall--My last message was rather garbled--apologies.Edwin Jackson Cussons was my 4th cousin 3 times removed.I am therefore a cousin of your wife.I am in touch with living members of the Cussons family.
Do please get in touch.I have attached my e-mail address,& sent a message to your firm in Atlanta.
Best Wishes
John Bentley.

Respond to this message   

Great Great Grandfather

December 27 2010, 6:39 AM 

John Cussons is my Great Great Grandfather. My Dad is Clayton Jackson Cussons, my grandfather is Jackson Glazier Cussons, my great grandfather is James Marsar Cussons and also brother to Emily Cussons. Great, Great is John. My brother Jackson Cussons has a strong resemblance to John. Same eyebrows and nose.

Cathy

Respond to this message   

Great great Grandfather

December 27 2010, 6:47 AM 

John Cussons is my Great Great Grandfather. My Dad is Clayton Jackson Cussons, my grandfather is Jackson Glazier Cussons, my great grandfather is James Marsar Cussons and also brother to Emily Cussons. Great, Great is John. My brother Jackson Cussons has a strong resemblance to John. Same eyebrows and nose.

Cathy

Cathy Cussons

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

December 29 2010, 6:18 PM 

For the readers of these posts I would like to clarify my information.
Thanks to John Bentley. My Grandfather is Jackson Glazier Cussons, his Father is James Marsar Cussons, brother to John Cussons. It is interesting that James Marsar's Dad is John who had a brother named James Marsar. My family tree dates back to 1683, but after that it is in tree form with no dates.

If you have any questions on what I see on my tree let me know. :)

Cathy

Cathy Cussons

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

December 30 2010, 5:39 PM 

For the readers of these posts I would like to clarify my information.
Thanks to John Bentley. My Grandfather is Jackson Glazier Cussons, his Father is James Marsar Cussons, brother to Capt. John Cussons.

Cathy

Respond to this message   

Cussons Family

December 27 2010, 7:04 PM 

John,since four years we have been researching our family tree and of course we also have read Eileens book.Thomas and Mary
(Wawne)of Seville Row,Hull was the son of our 4x Greatgrandparents John & Milcah Cussons.Have a copy of Thomas & Mary`s
marriage licence.Would love to hear from you,please contact us direct.

Respond to this message   

January 22 2011, 11:09 AM 

Hi John

I've been researching J C's military service for quite sometime and have accumulated a lot of information, including some post war information. However, I can only describe what I have as "having a large filling for a sandwich but only one slice of bread", because I have no lead up prior to his military service, other that what I have read in "The Miller of Horncastle". Would you, by any chance, have any information in the family records that you inherited,however vague or mere hearsay, that may be of some interest?

Regards
Len

PS you'll see my e mail address in an earlier posting message.

Respond to this message   

January 29 2011, 3:59 PM 

Hi John

I've been researching Edwin Cussons' elder brother's military service plus including some topping and tailing.

Having a copy of "The Miller of Horncastle" in my own personal little library, I know the year John arrived in the USA, I also have mounds of information from 1859 until his death, but only a spattering of information about the period in between. For example, In an article he wrote, I know he roamed around Wyoming, between the Sweet Water River, the North Platte, Fort Bridger and Fort Laramie. He had a good relationship with the Lakota Sioux, who, as you may already know, named him Wau-see-hos-ka,roughly translating as "Tall as a Pine Tree".

In a newspaper article, around that period, he mentions growing towns in California, as though he was there too.
I read somewhere that, whilst on his way to Selma, Alabama, he was supposed to have sailed down the Mississippi single handed. If that is correct, he certainly moved around a lot, and quickly.

Anyway I wonder if you have any documents, letters or suchlike, that possibly refer to John, especially during that 4 year period.

Regards

Len

Respond to this message   

John Cussons

February 23 2011, 8:50 AM 

Hi John

I hope yopu can help. Would any of the family records you inherited have any indication as to the school(s),James Marsar Cussons and John Cussons attended, as I seem to have a discrepancy.

In Eileen Cussons' "Miller of Hornacstle" an unnamed private school in Hunmanby is mentioned. However, in the 1851 census, James is recorded as living at home in Horncastle, Lincolnshire, but John is recorded as living in a private boarding school, namely Edenfield House, Doncaster, East Riding of Yorkshire.

In anticipation.

regards

Len

Respond to this message   

Edwin Jackson Cussons

May 31 2011, 9:20 PM 

I am compiling a genealogy chart on Ancestry.com and while researching the internet came across a string of messages , of which one was yours, referring to your wife being a great X3 granddaughter of John Cussons through Edwin Jackson Cussons.
John Cussons (1805 - 1855)and Elizabeth Jackson Cussons were my great x3 grandparents also. My line follows as such:
John Cussons & Elizabeth Jackson Cussons to Edwin Jackson Cussons and Lucy Church Cussons to Capt. William E. Lamb and Lucy Cussons to William Cussons Lamb and Mary Margaret (Peggy) Robertson to William R. Lamb and Anita Duncan Lamb to me.
I would enjoy communicating with you concerning the Cusson side of my family. Please email me if you have the inclination.
As information Capt. W.E.Lamb was born in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England in Dec. 1870 and married Lucy Cussons in Jan. 1897. He was a merchant mariner by trade, sailing in various capacities, including Master, between England and the U.S. After having taken citizenship at New Orleans, La. with his wife, Lucy and young family in Aug. 1918, he sailed for a steamship company in New Orleans throughout the Carribbean until close to his death in 1951. While I was just a todler before his death and saw him on probably one or two occassions I barely remember him, I did not know my Great grandmother, Lucy, as I am told she had died before my birth.
Best regards,
R. Norman Lamb
rnlamb@comcast.net

Respond to this message   

John Cussons:

April 26 2013, 11:06 PM 

Hello Joan,

My name is Holly Hoaglan Crittenden and I live in Victoria, MN USA. My great-grandfather is James Marsar Cussons brother to Emily Cussons.
My great, great-grandfather is John Cussons father to Emily and James.

I see that your entry was in 2004. You may have some information by now.
I have a copy of the Cussons family tree dating back to William Cussons (b. 1683 - d. 1746.)
I also have the last will and testament of John Cussons(Jr.)leaving his entire estate to Sarah Elizabeth Fletcher,the daughter of Emily.
There is another document giving my great-grandfather power of attorney.
My father is Herschel Cussons Hoaglan,son of Mary Alison Cussons and it was he who gave me the "strongbox" which held family documents.

Eileen Cussons stayed with my father in Rochester, Minnesota while on her way to meet relatives in North Dakota. I've been trying to locate
a copy of her book, "The Miller of Horncastle" and I hope you can help me with that search. My father had a copy but loaned it to a local
newspaper reporter and it was never returned. I also understand that she had another book in the works.

I hope this was helpful to you and if I can provide any other information please let me know.

Sincerely,
Holly

P.S. my address is: 7860 Hyacinth Victoria, MN 55386 USA, My email:hollycritt@hotmail.com.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - John Cussons
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement